Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby ColonelHacker12 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:03 pm

ColonelHacker12

Subject title: Chibi Granny.

Something I did more as a practice and study than finished article, please critique:

MY SKETCHBOOK (NSFW)

MY INSTAGRAM

"What are you looking at?!" - POTUS Francis Underwood

Postby Alpacky » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:10 pm

Alpacky

I dont really know how to describe what im seeing.

It looks forced, and scratched, and uncertain, and unplanned. The shapes and expressions are offputting. Try drawing construction lines, and being more gentle. Its over defined, harsh. I would reccomend doing alot of quick, construction, anatomy, gesture, sketches, get more practice in.

To me it looks like you aren't really drawing very often, and when you do, your pushing it to be what you think is good, but its just coming out as what it is, forced, inexperienced

Just get some more practice in, draw what comes naturally, don't try to draw like others do, find your own way, forget the images of what things ARE that are in your head.
An eye isn't an oval, with a circle in it, or a smooth diamond with flat skin on top, or a rectangle. An eye is a ball, that sits a little more than half way within another ball shaped cut out in the skull. With flaps draped on the top and bottom of it.
This is the way you must start thinking about things to better understand the way drawing works. Its imagining a three dimensional shape, in its accuracy in accordance to the world around you, and rendering it from a certain angle in your mind, and tracing it from your mind onto the page.

I see an effort and will to learn. a passion to follow, you just need to know how to do some more of the basics, and then you will find yourself having fun!

Your on the sycra forum for heavens sake! Watch some sycra videos :P
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby goago » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:30 pm

goago

So, personally i like your work. Its true what the critique above me said, about drawing in 3 dimensions and stuff, but: i dont really see an issue with this (for example the eyes) when drawing in a chibi style. However i do recommend you to practice perspective and form, because it applies to evetything. Keep going and keep drawing! :D it also helps to practice drawing lines with your shoulder. Check out drawabox and marks drawing tutorials abou this topic

Postby Josephcow » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:26 pm

Josephcow

I think you are overemphasizing the bone structure and the wrinkles. Work within your style. Chibi is supposed to be very cute, so the slightest indication of a wrinkle is going to read as old (but still cute!). There is no need to outline the cheekbones.

Postby ColonelHacker12 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:26 am

ColonelHacker12

Alpacky wrote:To me it looks like you aren't really drawing very often, and when you do, your pushing it to be what you think is good, but its just coming out as what it is, forced, inexperienced

Well I'm inexperienced with digital stuff, but I've been drawing solidly on physical paper for a long, looong time since 2007 or so. You're partially right. I've got this digital art stuck in my fridge and I'm personally fond of it, but I've still got a long way to go. Looking at my drawings from a couple of years ago is hard on the eyes. I'm rapidly evolving, but I've still got a lot of polishing I guess. And somewhat negative feedback is better than no feedback.

And sorry guys for the late response, a lot has happened (I've got my dad stuck in hospital).
MY SKETCHBOOK (NSFW)

MY INSTAGRAM

"What are you looking at?!" - POTUS Francis Underwood

Return to Critique This!