Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Josephcow » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:25 am

Josephcow

Subject title: female face study.

So I've been studying lighting and form on the face for quite a while, and I think I've improved quite a bit, but could use even more help. This is done without reference. Even if you don't have too much to criticize, I'm curious to know what is your process for blocking in and then rendering form? So go ahead and tear this apart. I dish out a lot of critiques so I should be able to take it ;)
femalehead copy.jpg

Postby Audiazif » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:24 am

Audiazif

I do agree you have made nice progress in painting. You seem more confident in lighting, shadows and shading are more deliberate and you have better sense of contrast.
Untitled-1.png

The thing that stuck out to me is it doesn't really look very female. The head shape is too "blocky". The jaw is square and large. And overall there are subtle proportional things that make the face more masculine. When doing a female face think smaller, rounder, and more subtle for everything. Obviously this is all general, a female could have masculine fractures. I think it is worth mentioning that I made the width of the shoulders and neck smaller. I also thought the face, regardless of gender, seemed kind of elongated. Maybe try to measure the width of the head. I don't know if it is 100% correct but the width of the head is a little more than 2/3 the height (in your painting it is close to 1/2 the height).

For the shading, like I said, it is great. I think you could of pushed some areas more and added some more occlusion, for example I pushed the edges under the chin and in the lip crease. The hair could of used some work as well, more highlights because of the lighting.
Josephcow wrote:I'm curious to know what is your process for blocking in and then rendering form?

I really love to push the cores of shadows and leave the inside part of the shadow lighter. It makes things really pop imo. I think it is easier to turn forms too. You can sort of see what I did in the painting. I did it on the neck, under the lip, and the nose. I even did some on the cast shadows around the eyes.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Josephcow » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:18 am

Josephcow

great! I will make those changes thank you!

Return to Critique This!