Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Nik_nik » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:57 am

Nik_nik

Subject title: Its for a T-shirt! Help here plx

Hey guys i have never make a t-shirt, a good one you know.
So i made this and i'm guessing if it can be printed or i have to change some things.
Here are!

Where can i improve? Would wear this?

Postby Alpacamood » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:30 pm

Alpacamood

I don't know much about printing but I do know that the pattern on the hat and the textured background won't show up the way you want and will look very muddy in the end. I think you should simplify your color use as well as shadows and highlights. Also is there a color limit with the company you're printing with? If so you might wanna make all of your white colors the same in the eyes, fur an teeth. Good luck!

Postby Josephcow » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Josephcow

I second that. Make the cat just white orange and black. Those shadows and highlights are going to make the printing process vastly more complicated and they aren't really adding much. Make the hat just purple. Right now you're using 12+ separate colors. And I know it's not going to be printed by hand most likely, but it will add a lot to the price if you have a lot of colors. Remember every single color needs to have it's individual screen in order to print it on a T-shirt. even if it's just an eye. I think you can do the pattern on the hat, but make it a bit bigger and don't use a new color for it. You could probably get away with 5 colors for this, 4 if you lose the blue background.

Postby Jacobkroon » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Jacobkroon

Depends on how you're going to print it.

Screenprint: use less colours (eg skip dark brown shadings, use already existing colours on cap as stated before) - also make the cap bigger or just scrap it imo. Requires much higher DPI to look good.

Digital print: doesn't matter how many colours you have, but the print will look bad after washing couple of times, B&W usually takes longer on black/white t-shirt since you won't see it so much until it gets really worn out.

The blue background already looks low-res on the mockup, expect it to look worse printed, even on digital print.

Would I wear it? No, not my style, but if it was something in my style I would still say no because of the signation you added

Postby Josephcow » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:01 am

Josephcow

Good point! but if it is a digital print then there's not really a need for cel shading in the first place. To my understanding a digital printer can print whatever you want, though I have admittedly no idea. It looks as though it is set up for screen printing though.

Return to Critique This!