Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Lovintherain » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Lovintherain

Subject title: So I have this sketch that I'd call my masterpiece

Hello everyone!

I have this sketch I really like, been having the idea for a while and finally gave it a go ^^

The thing is 2-3 hours into the piece, I kinda got stuck, and I dont know where to go from here.

·First off, what do you like, what would you change?

·If I wanted to finish it in this "stilized" style, how should I continue?

·If i wanted to go for something somewhat realistic, how would I start from what I have?
I know these are a lot of questions, but man I really want this to become hell of a piece :'D

Thanks a lot in advance, any feedback is trully appreciated!

-Yume / LovinTheRain

Postby Josephcow » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:47 pm

Josephcow

Well a sketch can't really be a masterpiece. Sketch and masterpiece kind of cancel each other out in my opinion. But anyway, I get what you're saying: it's your best work yet and you want to turn it into something awesome.

-I like the overall idea and theme, and I like the face. She looks very beautiful. but there are some things that will not translate well into a finished painting

*position of the hands- the right hand is a bit awkwardly bent. Try making the same pose with your arm and you will find it impossible because while the arm bends to the left, the hand is directed straight forward. The left hand has a cool gesture, but it isn't ideal to have that focal point in the bottom left corner. You should probably extend the canvas to give it some space (see what I did there? space.)

- In either a more realistic style or less, the lighting needs to be considered more. Right now the light source is unclear, the cell shading is a bit ragged, and there isn't evidence of the halo around her head casting light. I think the lighting is going to be your biggest challenge. It might help to do some lighting studies before finishing it. Doesn't even have to be the same subject matter. Can you light an apple accurately? If not, a violet goddess with blue hair holding a galaxy in space could be a bit a challenge :)

Postby Lovintherain » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Lovintherain

Josephcow wrote:Can you light an apple accurately? If not, a violet goddess with blue hair holding a galaxy in space could be a bit a challenge :)

This made my day :lol:

To make things clear, I said masterpiece as to say it was my best work yet, but I do hope for it to be come one yeah! hahah
Now, I will try to experiment a little with the position of both hands, and see how I go about the lighting, must admit I'm still a little untrained on that subject :|

Thanks a lot for the feedback Joseph and glad you liked the overall picture ^^

-Yume / LovinTheRain

Return to Critique This!