Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Fiikus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Fiikus

Subject title: First Painting. Is it important?

Hi, so I recently got into digital painting and drawing in general. I've watched a ton of tutorial videos, so I feel like I have some knowledge but I'm still lacking skill very much. So I painted my first pieces (first more or less thorough painting). So does anyone have anything that could maybe help me, that I could focus on, maybe.
Thanks either way.
The second one is just like a sketch, if anyone has any comment (mostly about values and perspective) I'd really appreciate it, because I'm working on it right now.
Fiikus
Book finito (2).jpeg
Urur project.jpeg

Postby biosphere » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:13 am

biosphere

I think you might get some good practice out of painting some landscapes from reference. Or studying some other masters (or people's) works so you can build your skill by observation .
Tutorials are well and good, but what's really going to get you there is practice and study.

Also, it might do you well to wait with colors until you can create a believable scene with black and white(grayscale). Color has a tendency to confuse us.
And as I can see in your second sketch, there are still some issues with values. (The whole piece is generally too light)

Two things that have helped me a lot is to practice landscapes from reference and lighting very basic forms to practice the rules of light.

Take a look at ctrlpaint.com for instance. There are enough free lessons to last you for a while, and the paid ones are excellent and very high value for the price.

I think you're off to a good start, so keep it up.

Postby Fiikus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:11 pm

Fiikus

Thanks a lot, now that you've mentioned it, I see it as well, it's too shiny.

Return to Critique This!