Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Infacti » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Infacti

Subject title: Digital Drawing Feedback

Hey! I made a thread similar to this one about a year ago (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17848)
I am very afraid that I haven't improved enough or that I won't be good enough once I'm an adult.

This is a hand study I did this week. I decided to add some blood and cool lighting in the background to make it more vivid and less boring.
In this image, I know the background is a bit too bright, but apart from that, I don't know what I can improve on.
I very rarely use references, and I don't know if I should rely on them or not.
In this image, I tried to make some sort of background too, but something looks.. off. And I can't place it.
As you can probably notice, I mostly paint human portraits.

Like I previously mentioned, I am afraid I'm not improving fast enough so I can't work as a digital artist/illustrator/designer, etc.
I have more work here: https://www.instagram.com/infacti/ OR https://www.artstation.com/artist/infacti

Postby UniversalEverything » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:38 am

UniversalEverything

Here are a few pointers.
For the first drawing, i/e the bloody hand adjust the distance of the tip of the fingertip and the bottom of the canvas. Either have the finger go past the edge or have a buffer. Otherwise it's just a bit uncomfortable to look at.
Alright and this next bit of info applies to all the pieces.
Texture draws the eye. So does color. If you look at very good painters you will see this in play. They will draw your eyes attention is a particular way. They can make you look first at a particular part, then another, and another. From most important to least. Important. The more textures and saturated a part of the painting is the more likely the viewer will look at it first.

Too much texture and color makes things look flat, and vis versa. The solution is to find the balance.
You try to do this by blurring the image, this works but not perfectly.
You don't need to draw out every detail perfectly because it will only confuse the viewers eye. Choose a focal point. Make it the focus, the greatest amount of texture and color and white reflection and subdue less important bits of the drawing.

You can see this clearly in the forest drawing. You are not controlling the viewers gaze .

Other than that you have a lot of potential especially someone of your age!
cheers!

Postby Infacti » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:59 pm

Infacti

UniversalEverything wrote:Here are a few pointers.
For the first drawing, i/e the bloody hand adjust the distance of the tip of the fingertip and the bottom of the canvas. Either have the finger go past the edge or have a buffer. Otherwise it's just a bit uncomfortable to look at.
Alright and this next bit of info applies to all the pieces.
Texture draws the eye. So does color. If you look at very good painters you will see this in play. They will draw your eyes attention is a particular way. They can make you look first at a particular part, then another, and another. From most important to least. Important. The more textures and saturated a part of the painting is the more likely the viewer will look at it first.

Too much texture and color makes things look flat, and vis versa. The solution is to find the balance.
You try to do this by blurring the image, this works but not perfectly.
You don't need to draw out every detail perfectly because it will only confuse the viewers eye. Choose a focal point. Make it the focus, the greatest amount of texture and color and white reflection and subdue less important bits of the drawing.

You can see this clearly in the forest drawing. You are not controlling the viewers gaze .

Other than that you have a lot of potential especially someone of your age!
cheers!

Wow, thank you so much for the feedback! I will definitely keep this in mind! :D

Return to Critique This!