Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Kuzko » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:29 pm

Kuzko

Subject title: Painting Queries.

Been wanting to get better at painting so I've started to do more portraits in order to practice. Here's the sketch I have so far.

Reference Face.png

Do any of you guys see any issues with the sketch I may not be seeing; or should I just start to paint over? Also do any of you have any techniques/brush recommendations/advice on painting in general? I've been using the defalt brushes in Paint Tool SAI (becuase It's the only program my pc can run) and painting just hasn't clicked yet.

Postby AlwaysARookie » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:53 pm

AlwaysARookie

Hi Kuzko,

it is a bit hard to give proper feedback because it depends on what you want. If you just want it to look similarish you could start painting if you want it to look like the same person you need some refinements for example the head is bigger on your sketch, his left nostrils are on the same height but your right one is higher than the others the eyes have a different form the hair starts a bit lower and so on, if you want to check accuracy you can overlay your sketch and check for differences, what also helps is flipping the canvas either vertical or horizontal or even both if you feel like it. It is a good start but can be worked on for better likeness if that is what you are aiming for. Have a nice day.
Always open for critique and hangouts (or similar apps).

Sketchbook

Postby Kuzko » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:46 am

Kuzko

AlwaysARookie wrote:Hi Kuzko,

it is a bit hard to give proper feedback because it depends on what you want. If you just want it to look similarish you could start painting if you want it to look like the same person you need some refinements for example the head is bigger on your sketch, his left nostrils are on the same height but your right one is higher than the others the eyes have a different form the hair starts a bit lower and so on, if you want to check accuracy you can overlay your sketch and check for differences, what also helps is flipping the canvas either vertical or horizontal or even both if you feel like it. It is a good start but can be worked on for better likeness if that is what you are aiming for. Have a nice day.

Thanks for the reply! I'm more so just looking to start getting practice with painting (something I haven't really delved into in my digital art progress), understanding the forms and lighting of the reference; but I can see the benefit of capturing the likeness. I'll prbably use the sketch as a rough guideline and refine in the painting process later.

Postby AlwaysARookie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:02 pm

AlwaysARookie

sounds good, have fun :)
Always open for critique and hangouts (or similar apps).

Sketchbook

Return to Critique This!