Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby SHSLLearner » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:46 pm

SHSLLearner

Subject title: Character painting

I tried to fix a few things, but I’ve been staring at this picture for so long that I can no longer tell if it looks alright now or not. I personally quite like it, but I don’t mind making it better :D

Postby Josephcow » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:04 pm

Josephcow

It looks really cool, I quite like it as well. So a couple little things that I see right away is that it's a little ambiguous as to whether it is a boy or a girl. Don't take it wrong! The face is drawn really well, but the eyebrows are just very thick. So an otherwise female face suddenly gets me thinking like 'oh, it's a girl, but wait she has big eyebrows...' Maybe you don't want to change anything, but it's something to keep in mind. The other thing is that the hair highlights aren't really reading as such. Hair doesn't highlight like that. It's more like in a ring broken up by little shadows from the individual locks of hair. But overall the hair is shaded just like it were one solid object.

Spoiler: show
hiar2.jpg

Postby SHSLLearner » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:12 pm

SHSLLearner

Thank you for your critique!
Yeah, I have to agree: he looks pretty ambiguous. Haha, yes. It’s a boy. I wanted him to look a bit feminine, but I might have overdone it... Well, to be honest I didn’t put too much thought into his gender before I started drawing and I guess it shows... But I’ll keep that in mind and hopefully do better next time!
I left the eyebrows as they were, but decided to shorten his eyelashes a little and slightly changed the hairstyle - I wanted it to look messier. I hope the highlights look a bit better!
Let me know what you think.

Postby Audiazif » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:36 pm

Audiazif

I did a paint over, mainly to illustrate what was mentioned by Josephcow about highlight on the hair. I also change it so the lighting was a little more consistent and apparent. The highlights looked like they were placed without thinking of a light source and the lighting was a little vague.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Critique This!