Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Valkhira » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:50 am

Valkhira

Subject title: Help needed for a half-body portrait with background.

Hello. This is a fanart I'm working on of Auron from FF-X, with Zanarkand as its background:

It is still an unfinished wip, but I feel deeply ashamed of it already, and I can't find how to fix it. I hope at this stage it is critique-able, since I need help finishing it.

References: Character design - Character model - Close-up of the face - Zanarkand

The things I've gotten to the max level I can at the moment are the red sleeve and the face, with the shoulder thingy having been worked on quite a bit more than the rest. I'm happy with the sleeve, kind of, but the rest are sad for me to look at.
I'm also very unhappy with the overall feeling of the picture, since I was aiming for more of a dark/badass piece but instead it looks colorful and out of place.

I'd appreciate any critiques on what I could do to fix mistakes, how to keep working on it or how I could make things better overall.
Thank you very much in advance.
My tradition is the art of superstition.
Follow the white rabbit: Alice's Sketchbook

Postby Josephcow » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:05 pm

Josephcow

The problem I think is that you made the sleeve have volume as if an arm were in it, and since the bottom of the sleeve is cut off, we can't see that there isn't! as a result, the hand sticking out of his jacket looks like a third hand or someone else's hand. Taking a look at your references they usually flatten the actual sleeve if it's there at all so that there is no confusion that he has some kind of disability.

Postby Gryephon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:03 am

Gryephon

I'd recommend shifting the ambiance a little to bit more to cyan then the blue that you currently have. Greener colors tend to be associated with watery places, while I haven't played the game in a long time, but i remember the place being kinda wet. Secondly the hues of a more cyanic ambiance should go well with reds of the suit since it's the compliment of red in RGB graphics. Also desaturating down the metals a little can probably help make them look a little bit more natural.

I'll try and illustrate it.

SlRnY34(2).jpg

I've put a hue map at the bottom to show you how much the hues have been altered (especially the background). Notice how things are better spaced with the hues?
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Return to Critique This!