Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby femarot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:55 pm

femarot

Hi!
I'm not sure if it's intentional, but the biggest problem there is the neck/chin.
the angle of the face doesn't go well with the eyes/nose/mouth angle.
What I would do is correct the nect, first of all, it's too thick.
The mouth also looks out of place, and her chin.
Also I did a paintover to show you somehow what I'm trying to say, but maybe it seems weird because my style is different, so sorry for that.

Hope this helps you. (btw, you did an amazing work with the arm)
Just an art student, with the wish of become a good artist someday. I invite you to see my work and progress here:
http://femarot.deviantart.com/

Postby Rallyio1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Rallyio1

Thank you!

Postby Gryephon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:59 am

Gryephon

It seems like your having a washy color problem (colors as a whole having a little white or greyish feel to them) It happens for various reasons, usually because of values not dark enough or saturation not being pushed far enough. There might be some artists that try to induce it, say to get a misty feel, or mess around with a color style (like maybe an exaggerated use of color purity), so it's not entirely bad. but from looking at your pieces I don't think the washy style was what you were after.

The first one seems like the colors aren't saturated enough and the values aren't separated well enough, it's causing it to have a whiteish tint to them and not making them feel full. The simple fix is tho make some of the values darker on the figure, not that much for the brightest parts though. But then you'll have to also bring up the saturation because it'll lose it's color a little. But speaking of saturation, when working with a desaturated background (greys, whites and blacks) you usually want to bring out the saturation, as pure colors tend to stick out better then in non saturated backgrounds (maybe not everything saturated, but you know pushing something). I edited it on the right to show you a fixed version of it.You can probably use a color picker to see the changes in saturation.
symmetra_overwatch_fanart_by_rally1-db19ms0(6).jpg

This one you might want to check the levels to. See that little area on the left of the histogram? That red bracket part? This means that your missing a big chunk of potential value rang (almost a fourth!). Ideally you'll want a good bit of range. While yeah there might be times when you'll want to do ridicuously bright pieces (for story telling or something) but the problem with forfeiting the darks is that it's usually where the design is. Like the form of the face is often expressed with light and shadows (the darks), but if you take away the shadows, it would make it difficult to see the shapes of the face. I'll try to edit it and show you
d_va_overwatch_by_rally1-daz6uqk.jpg

While i didn't use the level editor entirely to fix the problem, as I used the brightness\contrast slider and edited some the things manually by brush tool too. You see how I used blacks to bring out the facial features? This is why learning how to work with the darks is useful.
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Return to Critique This!