Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby tearbrush » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:26 am

tearbrush

Subject title: 1000 days after I saw Sycra

Hey guys , figured I post my progress here.

I first saw Sycra in mid 2013. Joined the forum on an old account and sketched daily. I have not stop doing it since. My traditional and 3d have skyrocketed but 2d suffers.

Today marks 1285 days since I made my decision to draw daily in spite of my disability (can only use palms, can't control fingers)

June 2013

Trad
2D
3D

Feb 2017
Trad
2D
3D

I know it seems very little for 3.5 yr, I hope to overcome and be decent in the next 1000 days!

Postby DrawingGuy31 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:13 pm

DrawingGuy31

That's a he'll of a accomplishment for that disability. I especially love your 3d stuff, I like messing about with sculptures since they help your 2d stuff and vice versa.

For your 2d, a lot of it suffers from lack of perspective, anatomy or gesture. The characters limbs seem too short, long or unnatural.

That traditional portrait can also use some work on the values, mostly on the skin. I can't tell if the man is darker skinned or if he's too shaded.those eyes look good though.

Keep going, you have done a lot for not being able to control your fingers. I suggest using gesture, since I don't think you'll need to use precise finger movement and can use your whole are. Try to use the whole arm as your tool and minimize you're reliance on your fingers as much as possible, it wont matter if you rely on big gestures and lines.

Postby tearbrush » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:14 pm

tearbrush

DrawingGuy31 wrote:That's a he'll of a accomplishment for that disability. I especially love your 3d stuff, I like messing about with sculptures since they help your 2d stuff and vice versa.

For your 2d, a lot of it suffers from lack of perspective, anatomy or gesture. The characters limbs seem too short, long or unnatural.

That traditional portrait can also use some work on the values, mostly on the skin. I can't tell if the man is darker skinned or if he's too shaded.those eyes look good though.

Keep going, you have done a lot for not being able to control your fingers. I suggest using gesture, since I don't think you'll need to use precise finger movement and can use your whole are. Try to use the whole arm as your tool and minimize you're reliance on your fingers as much as possible, it wont matter if you rely on big gestures and lines.

gotcha! thx man! I'll keep practicing!

Postby Josephcow » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Josephcow

Nice job! I admire your persistence. I know nothing about your impairment, but have you tried drawing bigger? It sounds like you would have a hard time controlling a pencil like a writing tool, making small precise marks, but you might find it easier to draw larger forms on paper with charcoal, or holding your pencil more like a paintbrush (how it should be held anyway).

For that matter maybe you would enjoy traditional painting, since it promotes making broad strokes, no tiny finger movements to be found. Just an idea, I can see that your marks have actually gotten much better, the drawing of the man in the hat is really good! I just wonder if a change in technique would allow you to progress faster.

Best of luck! :D

Postby Kaique » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:57 pm

Kaique

Hey man, i have nothing but admiration for you and what you have done so far.

The guys up there already said a few things about it but i would like to suggest http://drawabox.com/ , u'll be using your arms a lot rather than fingers and i believe it would help you tremendously, both in dexterity aswell as foundation, which some of your drawings lack (mostly forms) try using that site, you're a tryhard just like me, i know u'll enjoy it's contents.

Keep it up man :mrgreen:

Return to Critique This!