Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby lameframe » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:31 pm

lameframe

Subject title: Dancing Lady

Hi there, this is my first post, though i've been watching the youtube channel for ages. I recently started drawing again after a long break. This is the latest thing I've finished and any advice or critique would be much appreciated. I like the dress but am not fond of the face much, I think I over worked it and lost most of the contrast while blending.

Many thanks
dacing-lady-nb.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Josephcow

I think the face is turned round too much for the position of the body. Anytime you rotate the head past being in profile with the shoulder you hit uncomfortable territory. Could someone bend their body like this? maybe, but it wouldn't be a natural position.

I do like the colors you have for the most part though. Nice work on the legs! You might want to check the length of limbs and things as well to make sure everything is the right proportion.

Postby Audiazif » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Audiazif

I agree the head is turned too much. Here is a visual that might help.
1. Back view with the head facing the same direction of the body.
2. Back view with the head turned to a the max "comfortable" position, about 90 degrees from the head position in #1.
3. Back view with the head turned past the max "comfortable" position (this is the position the head in your painting is at).
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby lameframe » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:35 pm

lameframe

:D Nice image made me chuckle, agreed I broke the neck, shouldn't have forced it straight on. Thanks!

Return to Critique This!