Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby PepeMonst3r » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:39 pm

PepeMonst3r

Subject title: I need help

Hello there, im new in the forum glad to join here.

The thing is im a bit frustrated when i finish my paintings, i feel like if i lose a lot there is in the drawing.

I know i should keep practicing, but i dont really know how, finishing work takes so long compared to drawing. Maybe im lacking some skills because only draw from imagination and never do any studies.

What do you think? should i try making more paint studies? should i finish more pieces?? What do you think i should improve on this piece??
How do you guys practice painting skills quickly??

Any thought is apreciated!!

And Here is the sketch:

Postby ColonelHacker12 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:05 am

ColonelHacker12

I like what you're doing, but please decrease the height and width of the two works so we can see it better. ;)
MY SKETCHBOOK (NSFW)

MY INSTAGRAM

"What are you looking at?!" - POTUS Francis Underwood

Postby Alluffer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Alluffer

I think you answered your own question when you said you only do stuff from imagination. There are a lot of problems with the anatomy and color and everything is really symbolic overall. So doing studies from references would be my advice.

By doing studies you'll start to understand the function behind the stuff you draw. Take for example the eye; It's a sphere. It's a 3D object, so how can you show that on a 2D surface? How will that effect the eyelids? And so on. Now you're just putting an eye on the face like your brain remembers it, as a symbol. It's really not that convincing. Use references!!

But don't think that you're a bad artist because you use references!!! If anyone has ever said to you that using references is a bad/ unwanted thing, they can just bugger off. Artists through the ages have been using models to create their masterpieces so why couldn't you? And this doesn't mean you'll become depended of the reference, because by studying it you'll build up more accurate image of the object you're drawing in you head. Plus this way and you'll see your art improving much faster.

Finished pieces are there to show your weaknesses, all the mistakes you're making. So by making studies, you'll be making the mistakes outside of your "portfolio ready" pieces. So when you think you got something down, try it! And maybe post it for a critique?

Everybody thinks differently, so I can't really give you a specific way to do these studies, but I think Istebrak did a good video about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaJzSQ8WfQs

Hopefully this was helpful!

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Ambiguity

I'd say likeness is at least 90% value. When you paint over something, you introduce values that weren't present in the sketch, so it can't start to look quite a bit different quickly. Your line work is also a value btw, even the color you choose to sketch in affects the values of the drawing.

One of the solutions to keeping the likeness you've already figured out, that is to paint on top of your lines instead of under them in order to keep the shape likeness. Now you have to figure out the second part, which is how to keep your values. My advice would be to consider the lighting right from the start and don't deviate from it; that includes using your line weight to support the lighting, and if you're feeling adventurous, add shading to your drawing before painting over in color.

Postby ManyTcnj » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:18 pm

ManyTcnj

Hey Pepe,

Along with what other people have said, I'd study lighting, which I'd say is the biggest part of rendering. One way to practice is by painting over other peoples' lineart so you can focus on your rendering, so you're not distracted by other things like anatomy and design, at least not at that moment.

Here's a very quick paintover where I made a sphere test, and used short Rembrandt lighting with a warm key light, and cool fill.

Thank you for your post!
wip___fucsia_by_pepemonst3r-daxiypw.png

Postby Alpacky » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Alpacky

You might want to do some anatomy and form studies, that forehead is jutting out pretty far and theres also some proportion stuff...

I reccomend doing more plain drawing. If finishing work is fun for you, do some occasionally for fun, but otherwise 200 quick sketches will be more helpful (learning wise) than 1 super detailed one, unless, your trying to learn HOW to finish pieces. :D
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby Vetyr » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:52 pm

Vetyr

I redrew the sketch- I think that the problems with finished piece stem from the fact that the sketch has structural issues.
pink help feb 18.png

Return to Critique This!