Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Snakebreath » Sun May 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Snakebreath

Subject title: Corruption Critique! (Video Okay)

For sure, thanks for clearing it up! I'm just so used to everyone using "reference" to mean "did you copy that from a photo?" :S

Postby Zjacklee » Sun May 19, 2013 5:05 pm

Zjacklee

Snakebreath wrote:For sure, thanks for clearing it up! I'm just so used to everyone using "reference" to mean "did you copy that from a photo?" :S

this is an artist forum bro! we aren't just common folks out there that won't understand the difference. :P
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Zoju » Sun May 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Zoju

The biggest problems seem to be the lack of correct foreshortening, some anatomy problems, and the very flat colors with no realistic light source. Maybe look those topics up more and try (at least the drawing phase) again, then compare the two.

Postby perkexpert » Sun May 19, 2013 8:32 pm

perkexpert

Somehow your answer, snake, doesn't really sell it to me. Why isn't the putin picture in your list? You did use this photo to a heavy extent, and i would expect you to just clearly state that, nothing more, nothing less.
Your own adjustments and idea make it enough your own illustration, and i like the idea, and you have all reason to be proud of it, even if the base of the illustration is not your own work.
But in my eyes you tried to pretend that the whole image was your idea alone, which is not the case. Let's make a short analysis:

not your idea/copied:
- the whole composition is exactly that in the photo
- the pose is the same
- the face at least resembles him (probably also a technical problem)
- the lighting and framing is identical to the photo (or at least you tried)

your work:
- idea of the usage of this photo for your adjustments and in the conext of the contest theme.
- made the chair larger
- transformed hlaf of the head and hand to skeletal ones
- color changes

(your technique is still in the starting phase, so your control over the different aspects stated above is probably limited)

To be clear: That kind of process for an illustration is absolutely valid and if i would have gone for this idea, i would have tried to perfectly copy/render the photo which is a reasonable feat in its own right! That means of course
not tracing above it and not using the color picker or sth, but just trying to see and reproduce exactly what you see. And when you have
painted a very nice version of him, you could have tried to "skeletify" his head and hands...if you could render that in a convincing way, that would be absolutely awesome and show that you understand anatomy very well.... you would
have to "invent" his skull by observing his face really closely and understanding how the skull interacts with the skin and so on...in short: Although you "copied" many aspects in the photo, you own additions would make it shine all the same.
And most of the time, when not going for a photorealistic look, then it's always your interpretation of things that make it your own version of it, in any case you should always state that you based the piece on a photo which was made NOT by you.
I am picky about this subject, because as artists i think we should pay tribute to other peoples work, like in this case, an awesome photographer, where you based your illustration on.
corruption.jpg
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby Snakebreath » Sun May 19, 2013 8:40 pm

Snakebreath

I did say I used it, I said "here are the other references I used. :lol: Also I changed the pose a bit to make it a bit easier to paint the skull, but putting the image right next to it I see I definitely need work on foreshortening :S

Postby perkexpert » Sun May 19, 2013 9:18 pm

perkexpert

Ahhh ok....my bad and sorry for not reading carefully enough... i hope you will continue to enter contests and copy shitloads of stuff for your growth as an artist, i guess
at least the two pictures close together reveal a lot in terms of problems :) so the post was not in vain after all...
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby Snakebreath » Sun May 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Snakebreath

Oh I'll definitely be entering contests every week, its great practice, and helps to get me out of what I'm "comfortable" drawing! :D

Postby virtueone » Sun May 19, 2013 9:32 pm

virtueone

Seen this?:

In my opinion, when something is copied so closely like that - you really should admit it or at least give credit.

In regards to your drawing - its good that you are using references and I think its an excellent take on the challenge/theme - you did a pretty good job mate. ;)

Postby Snakebreath » Sun May 19, 2013 9:42 pm

Snakebreath

Thanks! And sorry for the confusion :S

Postby Snakebreath » Mon May 20, 2013 2:00 am

Snakebreath

And almost as if Sycra read this and made a video for me, he has made a foreshortening video. And wow it really helped, I plan on doing some practice tonight! :D

Postby Dream » Mon May 20, 2013 3:48 pm

Dream

virtueone wrote:Seen this?:

I honestly don't see any similarities beyond typical military secret/special agent gear.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby Brian Kouhi » Mon May 20, 2013 4:31 pm

Brian Kouhi

Dream wrote:
virtueone wrote:Seen this?:

I honestly don't see any similarities beyond typical military secret/special agent gear.

Lol really? well the gun is the same, the hair style is almost 100% identical, the equipment under the neck are the same, they are both looking at the exact same direction with the same pose, and eve the strip-thing thats attached to the gun is curved around his arm in the same way. Also his headgear and of course the hip-gear as mentioned
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby Dream » Mon May 20, 2013 4:40 pm

Dream

Hmm, the shot composition is a good point. As might be the hair style. Things like the gun and headgear are the ones i referred to as typical military gear.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby marvel57 » Mon May 20, 2013 6:02 pm

marvel57

Swiping is the dirty little secret of art. I've read several interviews w/comic book artist that admit it :shock: people NEED reference. Drawing skill is only the half of it, very few can draw realisticly w/out reference. And illustrators are taught to build reference files. So that's the truth on our artistic heroes,even the "old masters" kept ripping each other off and they all used models for every damn painting or drawing. So why the outrage at snake? I was using a photo online to draw my entry also, but when it's done it's different due to my limitations and style . Nobody in any field "re-invents the wheel" and starts from scratch every day. We learn from and build on what's been done, others have done the heavy lifting and we stand on the shoulders of giants. All's fair in love and war! And several other cliches' :ugeek:

Postby Williham24 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Williham24

Dream wrote:Hmm, the shot composition is a good point. As might be the hair style. Things like the gun and headgear are the ones i referred to as typical military gear.

And the pose, and I suppose you could probably argue that the positioning of his equipment and the gun itself are pretty similar on both. Both guns look short barreled and have large optical scopes, and both belt kits have the same things on them in the same places.
And as for snake, I suppose the only reason any one was even a little annoyed was because there was no mention of the fact that a reference was used, but frankly I don't really care.. How many artists would pretend they hadn't used reference if they thought they could get away with it, probably a lot. (I don't mean to offend anyone by that, by the way)
Hi I'm Will :) I'm 17 and I want to do illustration :)
'Paint a little less of the facts and a little more of the spirit'

My bad sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6729

Postby marvel57 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:38 pm

marvel57

Read mine, bottomline :ugeek:

Postby Williham24 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:10 pm

Williham24

marvel57 wrote:Read mine, bottomline :ugeek:

Me?
Hi I'm Will :) I'm 17 and I want to do illustration :)
'Paint a little less of the facts and a little more of the spirit'

My bad sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6729

Postby marvel57 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:04 pm

marvel57

Anyone interested can scroll up a bit and see my assessment of referencing/swiping,but I found that if you do a Google image search on any topic you will see some people have used that a lot, and I don't think the photog deserves mention he merely was there w/camera, now the artist is doing something different w/the photo, he's using it to create art, something many photogs Can't do :ugeek:

Previous

Return to Critique This!