Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby parwitch » Wed May 15, 2013 5:26 am

parwitch

Subject title: Sci-fi landscape for critic

Hi guys, I just registered to the forum a minutes ago and here is my first post. Please critique and provide some advice on how should I add more detailed. When everything sit in the place I do not know what else to do to increase the detail.

The City under_forWeb.jpg

Postby GuyWithFewWords » Wed May 15, 2013 7:37 am

GuyWithFewWords

Should be self-explanatory. Let me know if you have specific question to ask, the others will be able to help as well.

EDIT: Allow me to add a few more comment, adding more isn't necessarily a good thing. In the end you want a piece that fits your objective, which is a good piece of art work most of the time. And the composition design of your artwork, usually is the foundation, if you got that wrong in the first place, it's never gonna look right. So don't be afraid to destroy anything that doesn't look right, especially the ones that you spent the most time and effort, what wrong is still wrong. Nothing judgmental here.
parwitch1.gif
There are few things that do not require words to understand. Art is one.

Postby parwitch » Wed May 15, 2013 12:27 pm

parwitch

Thank you very much, you put a lot of effort in guiding me. I really appreciated this.
Regarding the composition, I was applying the rule of third and try to guide the line of sight to the city as a point of interest. Seem that it was not strong enough and the foreground was not balance, right?

Postby Snakebreath » Wed May 15, 2013 12:37 pm

Snakebreath

Adding the misty atmosphere around the city gives it more depth, your one was good in the aspect of applying the rules of third, etc. But without some hint at scale the human eye can't understand how far away the city/stronghold is. I'd suggest either adding this atmosphere (adds much more depth, making it looks off into the distance) or add some very small figures outside the wall, so we see how big the city is, and how far away it is.

Postby GuyWithFewWords » Wed May 15, 2013 2:09 pm

GuyWithFewWords

parwitch wrote:Thank you very much, you put a lot of effort in guiding me. I really appreciated this.
Regarding the composition, I was applying the rule of third and try to guide the line of sight to the city as a point of interest. Seem that it was not strong enough and the foreground was not balance, right?

You are welcome. Don't let the rules govern you decision, you need to rely more on your artistic sense. Why? If you look at every photo or painting that use the rule of third, you actually won't be surprise that not all of them look good. And if it's really that easy to just rely on one simple rule, everyone could make wonderful art easily, but that's not the case, so logically it's better to train the "eyes".

I remember Richard Schmid said something like, 'If a painter can't see differently than normal people, what good can his painting offer?' I think you know what he means.
There are few things that do not require words to understand. Art is one.

Postby marvel57 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:29 pm

marvel57

Par when I first look at it I can't really tell if it's a walled city or a huge boat :?: for more detail you must sharpen the focus and draw as much sharp detail as you want :ugeek: :ugeek:

Postby Williham24 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:41 pm

Williham24

marvel57 wrote:Par when I first look at it I can't really tell if it's a walled city or a huge boat :?: for more detail you must sharpen the focus and draw as much sharp detail as you want :ugeek: :ugeek:

I did think it was a boat at first, but yeah it's not too bad, the composition isn't terrible it's just a little awkward, but yeah :)
Also, GuyWithFewWords, you're secretly a pro hiding amongst us, right? You other paint overs are so awesome, specially the mountain one :)
Hi I'm Will :) I'm 17 and I want to do illustration :)
'Paint a little less of the facts and a little more of the spirit'

My bad sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6729

Postby alnoth » Thu May 16, 2013 9:19 pm

alnoth

nice overpaint overall. isnt the rhythm of the mountains too uniform tho? nothing really is happening, its just a bunch of mountains stacked one next to another. i think the skyline behind the mountains could also point towards the city as another focus driver. something like this maybe? :
over2.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Fri May 17, 2013 2:43 am

Fedodika

no offense but now the mountains looks like a wave about to swallow the city :lol:

Return to Critique This!