Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby cpituba » Sat May 11, 2013 6:10 am

cpituba

Subject title: Little fears - Critique Please!

Hey guys, i need some critique and advice about this piece! Help me! :D

Postby Fedodika » Sat May 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Fedodika

well first of all this picture is adorable, to me; probably creepy to others haha.

I think the reflection from his bat is a tad off, i think it should wrap the top of it a bit more. the creatures hand seems to be recieving the light from his mouth, but the rest of the arm could use a little more from it. The creatures fingers on the door look flat especially towards the pinkie and ring finger. I understand the children are drawn more cartoonishly, but if you are rendering their eyes in this realistic style, you should make sure the whites of their eyes arent so... white? haha

I also think you could push the values a little more as far as the shadows being cast from the impressions in the door, that would make the edges look a bit better

:D :lol: :ugeek: :geek: :roll: :twisted: :? 8-)

Postby cpituba » Wed May 15, 2013 2:46 am

cpituba

Yeah man! Thanks a lot! :D the fingers are a reeeaal problem, sooooo flat... :\

WHITE EYES, YEAH HAHA

Postby Waveloop » Wed May 15, 2013 3:18 am

Waveloop

Despite the small crafting technicalities this is a pretty cool looking piece dude... great job.

I think you could make this better composition wise... it seems you packed everything to tight, I feel it's a shame the little girl is cut off... and my eye begs to see more of the room too. another thing are the walls... something seems off, like the white wall seems to be moving away to the left because the shadow is going towards the light source... you should check that. And the fact that I can't really see the base of the yellow wall, makes my mind spin when I try to fit the door and the two walls together... just feels weird.

Hope that made sense

But I really like it anyhow. good job man, keep at it

Postby GuyWithFewWords » Wed May 15, 2013 8:31 am

GuyWithFewWords

I'm gonna comment a little about lighting setup/design. Often time, when people are deciding or design the lighting of a scene, most tend to forget the 'drop shadows' as a component of their light setup. Here's my quick paint over to show you how it can affect the overall mood and composition in different lighting setup.

You don't just use light to design, we use both light and shadow to design a lighting setup.
cpituba1.gif
There are few things that do not require words to understand. Art is one.

Return to Critique This!