Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby fideliz25 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:13 pm

fideliz25

Subject title: fairy lights (video critique ok)

so here's an art I made before my tablet went SNAFU on me..(note to self: never use a tablet as a fly swatter >.<)
good thing i went this far and im planning to finish this and there is still room for adjustments, any critiques are welcome
while i wait for my tablet to be fixed..and hope it does get fixed

fairy lights lores.jpg

Postby Brian Kouhi » Tue May 07, 2013 5:25 pm

Brian Kouhi

Hey! Honestly the biggest problem i see, which i think others would agree with is the hands, aside from that, everything is i say is pretty good! Greatjob!
Hope you at least got the fly :3
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby Snakebreath » Tue May 07, 2013 5:29 pm

Snakebreath

Agreed, I feel like the fingers and thumb should be a little longer, and the shape of the hand turning the page looks weird to me, that might just be me though, try looking at a few references, or take a picture of your hand in that position. Anyways good work!

Postby fideliz25 » Wed May 08, 2013 1:59 am

fideliz25

yeah i still needed to fix those hands..then came that damn shiny stink beetle.. i thought it was a flying cockroach >.<
but honestly im not good with hands haha still need to practice on those as well :) if anyone can show me how the hands would look like in this drawing that''ll be great :)

PS: can wacom technicians still fix the pressure plate of a tablet? or does it need to be replaced (hopefully not, coz i dont get to spend much on it)..that seems to be the problem of my tablet, cant seem to detect pressure accurately

Postby Spacecookie » Wed May 08, 2013 4:56 am

Spacecookie

It's a very nice picture, as has been mentioned the hands are a little 'off', but I think it's a nice picture otherwise. I would suggest giving it some sort of background just to give it a little depth, even if it's random shapes, like a forest in darkness where you get random silhouettes of trunks and other things which aren't so important. it will also give you the opportunity to make the halo of each fairy stand out more by putting it against a darker colour, so you wont need to give each such a hard edge to their aura.

I like it a lot enough to ask, would you mind if I did my own version of this picture please? So I'd use yours as a base and see what I come up with.

Postby Auricle » Wed May 08, 2013 5:51 am

Auricle

Cute image. It makes a great first impression & has a folk-tale kind of vibe that I enjoy a lot. Nice colour scheme. I'm a little confused by the lighting, or lack of lighting in some places, but it's not horribly distracting. Aside from the hands, which people have mentioned, I also think the section of her arm from shoulder to elbow is a bit too long or perhaps not foreshortened enough.

Also, four is an awkward number of fireflies. The one is the bottom left hand corner seems superfluous. I would suggest either adding one more, or getting rid of one, for balance's sake.

While I love the colour and weighty feel of her hair, it seems a bit too legoman-y. It would be nice to see some individual strands to add to the sense of flow.

I hope you keep going with this!
"The way is suspicious, the result uncertain, perhaps destructive." - W.W.

Postby Snakebreath » Wed May 08, 2013 10:25 am

Snakebreath

I forgot all about that aspect of composition, good thing you pointed it out! Like the above comment states try to stick with odd numbered things in your image, its more appealing to the eye.

Postby fideliz25 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:37 am

fideliz25

wow thanks for the feedback everyone :) now i can work on this more when my tablet gets fixed, good thing the only problem was the power input.

Spacecookie wrote:I like it a lot enough to ask, would you mind if I did my own version of this picture please? So I'd use yours as a base and see what I come up with.

sure thing spacecookie :) I like to see other versions of this as well!

Postby Spacecookie » Sat May 11, 2013 10:25 pm

Spacecookie

Cool. Ty very much. I'm going to give it a bit of a go over the next 40 hours or so :)

Postby Dream » Mon May 13, 2013 9:39 am

Dream

Sorry i can't give much advice right now. Just wanted to say i really love this, while it has some small imperfections here and there, the basics and mood of the illustration have a solid base. It really feels... Alive, you know?
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Return to Critique This!