Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Kingw777 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:41 pm

Kingw777

Subject title: Need some help

Hey guys I was reading some of the other Critiques on here and everyone seems very helpful, I was hoping that I might be able to get some pointers as well. Im kinda new to the forum posting but I hope I got the pictures I wanted uploaded on here properly. I have never had any art classes or anything like that but Ive decided I want to have a career focused on art. I love manga and would love to publish my own stories but before I start attempting them I want to get a lot of the basics down and any information I think would be extremely helpful in the endeavor and thank you in advance! One of the problems I know I do have is I rush because Im excited to show others the piece or I just want it done and it takes away from being as good as I wanted it. I have a deviant art site if anyone would like to see more of my pieces to critique there. http://savarius.deviantart.com/ The main things I feel I have trouble with, or at least feel the most lost/helpless is backgrounds and keeping bodies in proportion(in different poses and how the X amount of heads tall works when parts of the subject are closer or farther away). I hope the attachments worked if not my site has all the pieces I was going to use, thanks for bearing with me! lol

Female snow storm.JPG
With this image I feel its my best digital work to date any tips or tricks on digital drawing would be helpful! :)
With this image I feel its my best digital work to date any tips or tricks on digital drawing would be helpful! :)

I had some other pieces that I would have liked to get some opinions on but I guess they're too big to post but they are on my site I posted the link too. They were water colors and some marker drawings Id like to get tips on for improvement. but thanks for taking the time to read this I really appreciate it!

Postby Matej » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:12 pm

Matej

In my opinion the way to get better is books+practice. I may be wrong because i'm not skilled enough (like sycra and others on forum) to be giving advices.

Postby Sycra » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:49 pm

Sycra
Site Admin

Hey there... I agree with the colour change that Mumrik suggested, but the whole 'drop the cartoonish style' thing is bullshit and I wouldn't let it get to you. I think when you're colouring, instead of treating the character and background separately, you might wanna start on a toned background, in this case, maybe a blue, and then start colouring over that. Maybe you can find some reference of snowy images in winter, and try to get a sense of what winter colours look like, then use that knowledge once you start colouring. Anyway, keep drawing bud!

Postby Kingw777 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:58 pm

Kingw777

@Mumrik thank you for the advice and really putting into perspective the importance of patience although I must respectfully disagree with your views on manga and realism I will certainlly take your critsims to heart and make sure future works are more aware of lighting and reflective light as well as the brushes used in my illistrations. These were honestly things that slipped my mind until you brought them to light. Thank you for taking the time to help out :)

@matej is there any books you might be able to recommend?

Postby Kingw777 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:04 pm

Kingw777

@sycra thank you so much for the response! I have been watching your channel for awhile now and have been trying to improve traditionally and then move towards digital that way i have a better foundation. Unfortunately I wasn't able to post any other pictures i have on here for some reason I would be honored if you were able to check out my other works on my deviantart page and ive tried traditional painting using the tablets but haven gotten anywhere near the same results you do
Which I wouldnt expect to without practice of course. (Even though you make it look so easy lol)

Postby Matej » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:21 pm

Matej

Kingw777 wrote:@matej is there any books you might be able to recommend?

There is recomendation list on http://www.sycra.net under resorces

What i've read so far:
Drawing on the right side of brain ( helps you train to see contours instead of symbols )
Andrew Loomis - Figure Drawing For All It's Worth ( read it only halfway but will finish it ; anatomy book )
ImagineFX Presents - How to Draw and Paint Anatomy (2010) ( anatomy book )

right now im studying : "Cartooning–Concepts and Methods Part 1: Figure Drawing Basics " , its basicly a gesture drawing

Return to Critique This!