Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Alfred_J » Sat May 04, 2013 6:58 pm

Alfred_J

Subject title: Landscape (video ok)

Hi together, i would say my first digital landscape painting is finished.

I wanted to make it look somewhat futuristic, but to draw a small spaceship on the platform - I was not able to. The bridge should make a long-drawn curve - no idea which vehicle-driving it: D
For the right waterfall i used a "waterfall-brush" :roll: . I do not really know how to colorize in photoshop - so i try to give the painting a colored touch.

However, I am open for any suggestion for improvement. Hopefully the next landscape will be better. I personally like the greyscale-version ;)

Alfred
LS-Brigde-001-Colored.jpg

Postby Snakebreath » Sat May 04, 2013 10:44 pm

Snakebreath

I cant critique as your much farther down the road than I am skill wise, just wondering, how did you go about applying the colour to the black and white picture? I haven't tried that approach yet.

Postby marvel57 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:59 pm

marvel57

Al- looks better! You worked it out a lot more :ugeek:

Postby Fedodika » Sun May 05, 2013 5:00 am

Fedodika

Hmm, maybe try making the shadow from the bridge less, stiff? try like a softer brush to give it a more water like shadow. also, why aren't the bushes receiving any shadow from the bridge? the road on the left could be a tad thicker, unless it really has a sharp curve coming into the bridge. the tiny shadow from the rock on the left in the water looks good. maybe you could change the values in the water a bit so they aren't so samey/samey, specially near the back. also the sand on the left looks a bit too soft, maybe add some detail and finer edges. is the dude on the right just holding his arms out like a zombie :lol:?

Overall, nice composition, and i love the atmospheric perspective in the back

Postby Alfred_J » Sun May 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Alfred_J

@Snakebreath - in Photoshop you can use multiply layers to add colors over another layer. I apply the colors with low opacity - the rest comes from the greyscale picture behind. It works really great. I put it in - there you can see how much color i take over the painting (i took a white layer underneath, so you can see the colors).
Maybe this helps. (The spoiler does not work with my website - so i put it in normal)

@marvel57 - thank you

@Fedodika - thx for the suggestions - i will try to bring this in. The two guys - hm - maby the right shoot the left into his belly or the left pointing to something - don't know - that's up to your imagination :lol:. And thanks for the words of praise.

Postby Snakebreath » Sun May 05, 2013 2:45 pm

Snakebreath

Thanks for telling me your technique, I'll have to try that out!

Postby vanyossi » Fri May 10, 2013 6:44 am

vanyossi

To improve try to add a story to the landscape. And avoid ambiguity, like the bridge, i looks it standing in the background instead at the same level than the building.

Play more with camera angles. It's as important what you show to the audience and what you keep out. I did a reinterpretation of your work. It's very rough, but it helps to give me an idea of how the scene will look. I changed the p.o.v. to add the sense to the building that it is in a remote area really deep in nature. I added the ship just for fun but I think it added a sense of importance to the area as the ship looks like its patrolling the area. . I'm still learning so it might not be perfect but, here it is

for_prop_004.jpg

Postby Alfred_J » Fri May 10, 2013 9:26 am

Alfred_J

oh - yeah, i understand what you suggest. The Bridge is in the background - like a fast-transit-road. But your rework shows really understandable, where i must improve my skills and creative working :? .

Thank you a lot - it has opened my eyes.

Postby Alfred_J » Fri May 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Alfred_J

Finally I was able to integrate the suggestions of Fedodika. I think it looks better now. Thx Fedodika.

And thanks again for all other suggestions - I was very happy about it.

Now I close my first digital landscape trial and look forward to the next one :mrgreen:
LS-Brigde-001-strange2.jpg
Last edited by Alfred_J on Fri May 10, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fedodika » Fri May 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Fedodika

Yesh, the next one is always more fun because you make lots of less mistakes and if goes by alot quicker, looking forward to your next work!

Return to Critique This!