Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby kocab22 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:31 pm

kocab22

Subject title: need scene advice

Hi here is some stuff what Im working on right now, I need some advice regarding composition. Theme is flower market... After I will be happy with composition I want to try repaint it in oils so in the end it might look like regullar oilpainting :P - it will never happen but through mistakes we learn, right? :)
flowermarket.jpg

Postby marvel57 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:34 am

marvel57

Kocab-idk , but the perspective looks off. Maybe it only needs 1 v.p. on the horizon/viewers eye-level.? Also the 2nd women back looks too small and the booth also too small. I can't do a correction so... :!:

Postby vanyossi » Fri May 10, 2013 6:11 am

vanyossi

IMHO, the main problem I see with this composition is that there is no reading. If it wasn't for you comment I wouldn't know the subject was the market. The image as it is gives a lot of importance to the guy grabbing the pole.

There are many things to consider to get a good composition. I'm still very fresh in that area but one thing is that composition is not something aside from the image, it works with it and enhances the message.

I did a little composition exploration about your theme "the flower market" and decided that the flowers in market was the most important subject. So I started with a bright flower (my subject matter, which I should probably make it stand out more.) slightly off center and tried to generate a rhythm of flower "stands" from there to follow using the vanishing point where I placed the lady's face (The dark silhouette, but now that I see it I think I should have brighten her up) . As she is looking at the bright flower I complete the "circle". Everything else to me is descriptive, so i added some stands in the background and behind the girl. I can be improved a lot but for the moment that's the plan for the image. As you can see from the thumbnail, I worked only the general sense of the image to get the mood and the reading order. There is no detail (there could be a little, but i'm still learning a lot so it didn't came out).

for_prop_003.jpg

Sorry for the roughness, i normally work like this =S

Get you image main subject first, then get a mood for the scene, does the market has to look empowering or decaying? that will determine the p.o.v. I didn't go that far in my image, I just wanted to portray the lady's focus on the flower, but, it can be vastly improved. What is going on in the scene and what you want to show is very important because that will lead all your drawing decisions.

hope it helps.

Postby kocab22 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:41 am

kocab22

thanks Vanyossi , helped a lot! I like your thumbnail, you are right that in my image focal point is going out of flowers, what wasnt the point... thanks again, pretty helpful..

Postby perkexpert » Sun May 12, 2013 8:48 pm

perkexpert

Very nice layout there, van! My points would be :
- better separation and readability with foreground, middleground, background
- correct proportions of figures and booths
- more ppl (crowded marekt)
- more flowers and more market :)
- a bit more "framing" to lead the eye to points of focus
- maybe more interaction - trading, bartering...and so on, like the one lady showing a flower to the boy or sth.

i made a quick overpaint to show where i would go with the composition, i would alter the interaction of the figures to be more "markety", which i didn't adress yet
anyhow, good start, would love to see what you can do with it!
-
flowermarket.jpg
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby kocab22 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:23 pm

kocab22

Thanks Perk, its always good to see your critique.. Im not sure if I will get back to this one, but I should! :)

Postby hayato20 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:47 pm

hayato20

Hey very nice perspective you got there, but I don't understand what the guy on the left is doing, I just cant see myself doing that
My Sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6700

Postby Williham24 » Sun May 19, 2013 1:45 pm

Williham24

hayato20 wrote:Hey very nice perspective you got there, but I don't understand what the guy on the left is doing, I just cant see myself doing that

They are obviously just dramatically injecting heroin...
Hi I'm Will :) I'm 17 and I want to do illustration :)
'Paint a little less of the facts and a little more of the spirit'

My bad sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6729

Postby kocab22 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:23 pm

kocab22

sniffing the rose ;) you heroin :D

Postby marvel57 » Tue May 21, 2013 8:39 pm

marvel57

I told you, may be only 1pt. Perspective, thanks for Perk to Show you :ugeek:

Return to Critique This!