Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Misakim » Sat May 04, 2013 3:43 am

Misakim

Subject title: I need a critique! (please)

I would love a critique! If you can, please! I really want to learn :)

Postby annamedved » Sat May 04, 2013 8:20 am

annamedved

I really like the whole colorscheme and the overall image, I just dont get what the 3 white stripes in his hair are.. xD

Postby Ambiguity » Sat May 04, 2013 9:43 am

Ambiguity

annamedved wrote:I really like the whole colorscheme and the overall image, I just dont get what the 3 white stripes in his hair are.. xD

I think it's supposed to be Death The Kid, in which case it's just a feature of the character:
Spoiler: show

It does look like it was rendered different then the way they rendered the rest of the hair though which makes it look odd.

Anyways, about the rest of the image, I'm not entirely sure where your light source is coming from, I'm also not quite sure what's in front of what; picking a main light source, adding some drop shadows, and removing tangents(or even lines that are close to being tangents) would really help sell the depth.

Postby Zjacklee » Sat May 04, 2013 1:06 pm

Zjacklee

interesting mood and color scheme!

The weakness i see in this piece so far are the figures themselves and the light-source issue adressed before.
next i feel line-weight could add some more interest and variety to the piece.
the clothes should have more volume too. here and there they seem so tight around the figure that even feels as if it's merged with the skin. (check the gloves for example. and around the neck of death the kid.)

And last but not least for now, the white stripes of death the kid aren't exactly following his form. I feel they should have been more "round" ish to wrap around his head. right now it comes across as very flat.

And is that Blair? (not sure since the hairstyle is almost identical except for the color feeling more towards pink. but then again, colours do that.. when you want to keep the right atmosphere. hehe ) I really love that character! Pumpkin pumpkin! ^,..,^ Nyaa!
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Misakim » Sat May 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Misakim

annamedved wrote:I really like the whole colorscheme and the overall image, I just dont get what the 3 white stripes in his hair are.. xD

It's because he's a character from Soul Eater (Anime). But, Thank you!

Postby Fedodika » Sat May 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Fedodika

well i like this piece a lot so i felt i could try to critique it with a paint over. I put the light on the right to hit the woman's back since i feel she is the first thing you look at. There were some strange tone shifts in her arm so i made that follow the form of her arm a bit more. I know i certainly didn't get everything haha, but you can compare side by side the differences i personally saw with the lighting. I hope this helps haha!

Postby Fedodika » Sat May 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Fedodika

lawl didnt upload
crit.jpg

Postby Misakim » Sat May 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Misakim

Ambiguity wrote:

I think it's supposed to be Death The Kid, in which case it's just a feature of the character:
Spoiler: show

It does look like it was rendered different then the way they rendered the rest of the hair though which makes it look odd.

Anyways, about the rest of the image, I'm not entirely sure where your light source is coming from, I'm also not quite sure what's in front of what; picking a main light source, adding some drop shadows, and removing tangents(or even lines that are close to being tangents) would really help sell the depth.

I do not know how to answer you properly, but surely your critique helped a lot and I will not make the same mistakes, I will also pay more attention to light and shadow.
Thank you very much! <3

Postby Misakim » Sat May 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Misakim

Fedodika wrote:lawl didnt upload

Oh my! You are right! This looks much better, I really saw the difference and this will help me a lot! Her arm looked really weird and the light was very undefined, great job!
Thank you very much! <3

Postby Misakim » Sat May 04, 2013 3:33 pm

Misakim

Zjacklee wrote:interesting mood and color scheme!

The weakness i see in this piece so far are the figures themselves and the light-source issue adressed before.
next i feel line-weight could add some more interest and variety to the piece.
the clothes should have more volume too. here and there they seem so tight around the figure that even feels as if it's merged with the skin. (check the gloves for example. and around the neck of death the kid.)

And last but not least for now, the white stripes of death the kid aren't exactly following his form. I feel they should have been more "round" ish to wrap around his head. right now it comes across as very flat.

And is that Blair? (not sure since the hairstyle is almost identical except for the color feeling more towards pink. but then again, colours do that.. when you want to keep the right atmosphere. hehe ) I really love that character! Pumpkin pumpkin! ^,..,^ Nyaa!

You're right, the clothes seem to be part of the skin ... And I always mistake in Death the Kid's hair ^^"
And this is Crona :) But I really like Blair and your pumpkins!

Postby Zjacklee » Sat May 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Zjacklee

You know... there were some doubts(at least, I had them) here and there if Crona was a guy or a girl in the beginning but I think it was confirmed somewhere crona is a guy. anyways, just saying. not that it matters. :P

And thanks for complimenting my pumpkins! :lol:
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Return to Critique This!