Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby OlegS » Fri May 03, 2013 5:13 pm

OlegS

Subject title: I need some critique and advices

Hello everyone. I am new on this forum :) I am not professional artist, I just like to draw creatures. I know, that I am bad, but maybe your advices will help me to get started :) Here is one of my drawings. Helpful advices are welcome!

FM.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Fri May 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Ambiguity

I don't really understand quite what's going on here. Is the lady scared of this monster, or maybe he's her pet? Is he supposed to be a small monster? What are they looking at? Why is the lady half naked? what is she doing with her arms?

Postby OlegS » Sat May 04, 2013 4:11 pm

OlegS

The idea were: monster is hunting on her and she just run from him. ))

Postby Snakebreath » Sat May 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Snakebreath

Monster looks great, but to me the person is really confusing, the main critique I have to make is work on your anatomy and form, your creature concepts are great though! :)

Postby Zjacklee » Sat May 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Zjacklee

Snakebreath wrote:Monster looks great, but to me the person is really confusing, the main critique I have to make is work on your anatomy and form, your creature concepts are great though! :)

Yea, she kinda gives me the vibe of... "HEY, keep it down back there monster. I just got up and I'm in the middle of putting my clothes on.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby OlegS » Sat May 04, 2013 7:51 pm

OlegS

Thanks you all. I'll work hard on my anatomy :)

Postby marvel57 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:00 am

marvel57

Oleg- I like the monster and the trees w/ the light coming through. But have the monsters looking left , at the woman, and she is poorly drawn. Rework like I say and it will been very good :ugeek: OR, or put the monster to the left and the women to the right, probably easier ;)

Postby Auricle » Tue May 07, 2013 12:52 am

Auricle

Love the creature concept, but the composition and lighting need to be more direct. The image is lacking a sense of focus. If the concept is 'she's fleeing a monster', there should probably be more urgency to the placement/size of the subjects. Perhaps make the woman slightly larger and closer to the creature, almost as if she is running towards us, if that makes sense.

In terms of pose, I don't get the impression that she is running, but maybe stretching casually because of the relaxed posture. A very lazy reference search on my part turned up this & this, which may not be exactly the pose you were going for, but should give an idea. The creature should also probably be looking at the thing it is chasing, right?

I really like the concept and I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
"The way is suspicious, the result uncertain, perhaps destructive." - W.W.

Postby OlegS » Sun May 12, 2013 7:18 pm

OlegS

FM1.jpg

What do you think about this ? :) I think and I hope that it looks a bit better.

Postby Williham24 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:52 pm

Williham24

I love the monster! This latest one is much better, when I looked at the original I had the same reaction as Ambiguity and Zjack, I didn't really no what was going on, it looked like she had just woken up haha, anyways, I like the new one more, but I reckon maybe if he was on a horse, either facing towards the monster or perpendicular, it's your choice, I just reckon that might look a bit better, since at the moment his posture looks a bit horse rider-y in my eye :)
Hi I'm Will :) I'm 17 and I want to do illustration :)
'Paint a little less of the facts and a little more of the spirit'

My bad sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6729

Postby Snakebreath » Tue May 14, 2013 8:03 pm

Snakebreath

Much better!! One thing I have to point out is the helmet has a very close value/color to the tree in the background that's on the same level. Maybe make it a bit lighter or a different hue, besides that I love it!

Postby MoreNonsense » Tue May 14, 2013 8:09 pm

MoreNonsense

It's a very good design and I get what is going on, but the knight feels a bit stiff. Like he's just standing there waiting calmly while a monster is tearing down the forest. I guess it'll be hard to show his emotion (fear or anger?) from behind without showing his whole postre with the legs, but I think it would be worth it to get some movement there.

By the way that creature is just bad ass. He's got the evil glint in his eyes. Like it! :)

Postby Evan » Tue May 14, 2013 9:44 pm

Evan

awsome painting did some paint over don't know if it is any kind of improvement, just some ideas having some branches in the trees pointing to the focal point/ making the helmet stand out against the background
Untitled-1.jpg

Postby Auricle » Wed May 15, 2013 3:48 am

Auricle

The knight is definitely better than the woman in terms of interesting composition, although the values of the helmet should be altered. I really like the paint over Evan did of the background. It opens up the scene, makes it feel more 'battle-y'.
"The way is suspicious, the result uncertain, perhaps destructive." - W.W.

Postby OlegS » Wed May 15, 2013 12:27 pm

OlegS

Evan, I like your background more, but I think monster has a bit more lighter colors that it should has. But thanks for idea, I like it. Thanks all for you advices, I really like this forum :) I will work more on my drawings.

Return to Critique This!