Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby annamedved » Fri May 03, 2013 4:42 pm

annamedved

Subject title: Warlock - please critique! (Video is okey)

Hi, I recently came to this point that it felt like I was not evolving anymore with my art, so I really need your help and critique so that it can help me get better! Pretty please! This one is my most recent image, and I don't know what I could do better at the moment. Thank you before hand!

warlock.jpg
Last edited by annamedved on Fri May 03, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Ambiguity » Fri May 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Ambiguity

What's the story?(Who is this guy? Where does he live? What time period? Is he a good guy or a bad guy?) You need more narrative or he is always going to be some random guy just standing there being boring, it doesn't matter how badass you make him look.

About the rendering: it's kinda weird that his robes aren't lit on the inside if there is a fire in there, the tip of that flame is randomly blue, his jaw is different on each side, and the skull on his chest is flat(but maybe that's intentional).

Postby annamedved » Fri May 03, 2013 7:57 pm

annamedved

Ambiguity wrote:What's the story?(Who is this guy? Where does he live? What time period? Is he a good guy or a bad guy?) You need more narrative or he is always going to be some random guy just standing there being boring, it doesn't matter how badass you make him look.

About the rendering: it's kinda weird that his robes aren't lit on the inside if there is a fire in there, the tip of that flame is randomly blue, his jaw is different on each side, and the skull on his chest is flat(but maybe that's intentional).

I haven't really thought of any backstory to him (A) my boyfriend just wanted a warlock.. I guess I should try to dive into a story more, I'll try that out!

haha omg, I didn't even notice the lack of light inside his robe xD the skull I know is flat, but didn't know how to fix it so that it looked more "real" so to speak :( ty for your point outs! *bows* It helps! :D

Postby Ambiguity » Fri May 03, 2013 8:17 pm

Ambiguity

Here, I quickly painted over the stuff I was talking about:
I also noticed his hands were way too big, they should only be about the size of your face unless it's something special about the character. You should probably go even lighter in the robes than I did.

P.S.
Those thumbs are too big as well, I didn't see them until now.

Postby annamedved » Fri May 03, 2013 8:41 pm

annamedved

wow, that made the whole difference in the world! I will try my best to try to fix that! Thank you so much mate!!

Postby Zjacklee » Fri May 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Zjacklee

Ambiguity shared some good points.

next I feel as if the face is a bit squeezed and slim. was that intentional?
he also feels as if he is lacking proper detailing. as in.... more care in the different parts. how are the shoulder plates attached to his robe? what's keeping his hoody closed? where is it coming together?

also being able to see the metal clearly as metal. i'd like to get the cloth feel out of the robes. they seem to bee too tight at the wrist and the cloth seems very slim. i feel as if it could have been "heavier".

But i do like your color scheme.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby annamedved » Fri May 03, 2013 8:46 pm

annamedved

Zjacklee wrote:Ambiguity shared some good points.

next I feel as if the face is a bit squeezed and slim. was that intentional?
he also feels as if he is lacking proper detailing. as in.... more care in the different parts. how are the shoulder plates attached to his robe? what's keeping his hoody closed? where is it coming together?

also being able to see the metal clearly as metal. i'd like to get the cloth feel out of the robes. they seem to bee too tight at the wrist and the cloth seems very slim. i feel as if it could have been "heavier".

But i do like your color scheme.

Thanks man! The face was intentional, but the other things were NOT intentional xD The things you point out - the detailing, that's what I have to practice more, I kinda get stuck when it comes to that xD so I didn't even think about those things you mentioned! But now I do! I will try to add those things into the image tomorrow :D I hope I will succeed, thank you!!

Postby annamedved » Sun May 05, 2013 2:52 pm

annamedved

Here are the new updates I have made on the image, hope it's better now, I tried to fix all the pointers that you guys gave me! Hope it shows :D

warlock6.jpg

Postby Zjacklee » Sun May 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Zjacklee

I can see improvement. :)
What bothers me now are the sleeves of the robe. somehow, they feel kinda plastic. (not in material, but more in shape) They miss some dynamism.
And they seem a bit almost too symmetric. that also kills composition sometimes.

Postby annamedved » Sun May 05, 2013 6:27 pm

annamedved

Zjacklee wrote:I can see improvement. :)
What bothers me now are the sleeves of the robe. somehow, they feel kinda plastic. (not in material, but more in shape) They miss some dynamism.
And they seem a bit almost too symmetric. that also kills composition sometimes.

aah yeah, I see what you mean! there is so much I didn't even think of.. xD still a loooong way to go, that's whats so good with u guys, the feedback is awesome! Thank you!!

Postby Zjacklee » Sun May 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Zjacklee

annamedved wrote:

aah yeah, I see what you mean! there is so much I didn't even think of.. xD still a loooong way to go, that's whats so good with u guys, the feedback is awesome! Thank you!!

No problem! :)
One more tip I can give you is, when drawing stuff like magic... you could consider give the robes a bit more of a floating feeling. It kind of adds to the magical effect.
In lot's of shows too when magic is casted... you can see the clothes kind of floating or rising up! To indicate the energy and all.

Good luck!

Postby annamedved » Sun May 05, 2013 6:54 pm

annamedved

Zjacklee wrote:
annamedved wrote:

No problem! :)
One more tip I can give you is, when drawing stuff like magic... you could consider give the robes a bit more of a floating feeling. It kind of adds to the magical effect.
In lot's of shows too when magic is casted... you can see the clothes kind of floating or rising up! To indicate the energy and all.

Good luck!

yeah thats true! noes, now I'm kinda ashamed that I didn't think of that xD ... I watch alot of that kind of stuff.. and read about it alot aswell.. and when I draw I seem to forget everything xD noes, thanks for the reminder :P

Return to Critique This!