Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Nipponkage » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:14 pm

Nipponkage

Subject title: Please have a look :)

This is my first (I think) attempt at drawing something in black and white first before colour(excluding lines of coarse). What do you think,(I hate to admit it but it's not done yet) of what I've done so far?

Note: I would put this in the Sketchbook section but there's more chance for people to correct me if I put it here.
Copy4.jpg

Postby Nipponkage » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:04 pm

Nipponkage

Here's an update.

EDIT: Sorry about the picture that was in this reply before: I clicked the wrong file
copy 5.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:22 am

Fedodika

Hey welcome to the forum! :D

You're values ain't bad! one thing i think is the big issue here is just composition. The girl looks really good, but the tree is just so puny and lousy that it kind of takes away alot from the piece. also the grass covering the girls legs doesn't do much for me.. Maybe make the tree even smaller, or really make the tree big. Idk i'm kind of new to composition, but those are the things i can see that i could advise; hope it helps! oh and maybe add some third element to the picture to follow the rule of thirds... if you'd like ;)

Postby ShrapnelAnime » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:29 am

ShrapnelAnime

Looks great! The biggest advice I'd have is to make the focus of your drawing more clear. It seems to all blend together. I'm guessing that the girl and the tree is the focus point, so try to make it more.. Clear that its the main situation :3. Good work though, I love the composition and the theme~
De Geso

Postby Nipponkage » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:48 am

Nipponkage

Another update. I tried to fix the tree and the grass. What do you think?
gmjgugbk.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:22 pm

Fedodika

looking better; the grass by the girl has some highlights that might be a bit too strong; just drop the contrast on those a bit and they will look better. I think that mainly because i don't understand how the light is that strong underneath the blades of grass. Also maybe don't use single lines to depict the grass's highlights and maybe use clumps of greys. I like the tree more now, but i still think you could make the top part look a little more realistic and less like a haystack that is on fire.. Keep it up; the shapes are really coming together! :D

Postby Zoju » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Zoju

The lighting is pretty inconsequential/inaccurate in some places. It's most noticeable on the grass, but both the bark and some of the cliffs could use a touch-up.
The foliage on the tree looks like hair, not like leaves.
The cliffs don't really have a realistic texture, maybe that could be fixed.

Postby Nipponkage » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:23 pm

Nipponkage

Zoju wrote:The lighting is pretty inconsequential/inaccurate in some places. It's most noticeable on the grass, but both the bark and some of the cliffs could use a touch-up.
The foliage on the tree looks like hair, not like leaves.
The cliffs don't really have a realistic texture, maybe that could be fixed.

I know about the cliffs etc. And I'm doing the grass over and the trees to get it looking as good as possible at the moment.

Postby annamedved » Fri May 03, 2013 5:01 pm

annamedved

One thing that I noticed right away is that you can see every stroke you made with your brushes. One tip is that u try to use bigger and more solid brushes for the general image, and then go to smaller brushed when you start the detailwork, that trick have helped me ALOT :D Hope it will help you aswell mate! Keep the good job up!

Return to Critique This!