Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Snakebreath » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:38 am

Snakebreath

Subject title: Original Goblin Concept Art (Vid Ok)

So for school I am making a full body goblin model using Blender (currently 75% done, I'll post it when its finished). The model has armour, a spear, and a shield. I just finished this concept art for the character, some parts I changed while modelling it as they seemed more efficient, but its mostly the same.

As I just started painting weeks ago, it isn't the best piece (my 3D modelling skills are much better :lol: ), but its by far my best painting so far (out of 6). I tried to create a more "painterly" look for the background of this picture, which I think looks pretty good.

But as I am always trying to improve please let me know any aspect of the painting I could change to make it better, thanks for the help!
Goblin Concept Art 2013.jpg

Postby Snakebreath » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:15 pm

Snakebreath

This is the rendered character, only worked on it for about 5 hours (all the time we had). This is the first full body character model I've tried making, turned out pretty good. Feel free to critique on either the model or art.
Goblin Render.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:19 am

Fedodika

Hey snakebreath; you know i love you man <3

I mean this in the least offensive way i can haha; the top drawing looks like something a fourth grader would make :roll:. To that i just gotta say practice your drawings and save the paintings/coloring for later when the drawings look awesome! :D

As for the 3d goblin, the lighting is very dark, well i don't know that much about 3d, but i just know it kinda looks like something from runescape circa 2003. Which, in essence, could be a good thing ;).

Postby Snakebreath » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:29 am

Snakebreath

I know I suck at painting at the moment, that's why I'm here. xD I only got my tablet a few weeks ago, so of course I suck now, but could you point out what I could do to make the picture better?

Postby Fedodika » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:44 am

Fedodika

try some photo reference studies; don't use the color picker and put the picture right next to your canvas. also try learning values from black and white studies; That is the best ways to learn form and realism is through just black and white :D

Postby virtueone » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:53 am

virtueone

In my opinion, you're trying to take on too much with that goblin painting. There are some great resources here on the forum: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42, covering anatomy, color, composition, etc... these are all things you need to work on, individually - once you understand all those subjects, you're concepts will be much better. Don't be afraid to use reference to help you learn. (You should be able to find references to identify what's wrong with that image yourself). Sorry if I'm repeating anything you already know - I hope this is helpful. ;)

Postby Snakebreath » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:53 am

Snakebreath

Okay thanks, I'll work on that! I think I was trying to run before I learned to walk here. xD

Return to Critique This!