Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Huglojsk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:35 pm

Huglojsk

Subject title: Abandoned Desert Village (video critique would be awesome)

I made this one pretty quickly with a pretty loose style but I'm happy with it.
It's my first landscape/environment painting and I would really appreciate some critique.

WasteLand.jpg

Thanks. :D

Postby Beazann » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:09 am

Beazann

I'd suggest to make an aerial perspective stronger, and do something with the value of hanging sheets to make it different from the sky. Overall really nice.

Postby Fedodika » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:18 am

Fedodika

these colors are really interesting; i'm just not really digging the clouds, maybe give them some sort of texture? Keep it up though, pretty awesome! :D

Postby Huglojsk » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Huglojsk

Thanks for the feedback! :)

I was happy with the color choice - yeah, but I will keep in mind to check all values to really make stuff pop. As it was a really loose style I didn't care much about the clouds but I'll think about giving them some texture if I do a more detailed one. :)

If you think about anything else please leave a reply. It's really nice to get some feedback on my work as it improves my painting a lot!

Thanks. :D

Postby Zoju » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:25 pm

Zoju

The water puddles seem off, maybe make them darker. They look somewhat metallic. I'm not sure why would there be water puddles in an abandoned desert town in the first place.
The drying clothes don't look apart from the sky at first glance, maybe push the values a little more. Also, their shadows don't look good, judged by the angle of the sunlight; they should be shaped like a rhombus.
And lastly, I agree that the clouds should have some sort of texture, at least some shading from the sun.
Expanding a canvas a little bit to give more breathing space and more sky to look at could be a good idea, and make the picture feel more lonely and less confined.

Return to Critique This!