Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby FetusCake » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:51 am

FetusCake

Subject title: Candle Lit Statue (Video Critique OK)

So I was wondering if anybody wanted to give any helpful feedback. I really want to improve.

Thanks,
-Jason Coates
candle-litSTATUE-LowRes.png

Postby Snakebreath » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:41 am

Snakebreath

It's really good, the only thing I can notice is the face, I feel like it wouldn't be as illuminated as the chest as its farther away from the candles. maybe make the highlights on the face a tad bit darker. Keep up the good work!

Postby Fedodika » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Fedodika

Your colors and values are beautiful; i'm just not too sold on that hand, maybe make the wrist a bit smaller :D

Postby Zoju » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:54 pm

Zoju

I agree with Fedodika on the wrist. I also think that it's odd that the hand isn't illuminated enough (by nearly the same amount of candles) when compared to the chest.

Postby malmana » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:30 pm

malmana

Good work! Details are great, texture and everything. Two things that could be changed. First, value adjustments with levels. The lightest value is something like 20% gray. Could be pure white on candles. Second,the major focal point is the head but the candles tries to steal the show I think. I dont know does these things work but you could try. Could you tell us if theres a story behind this or where does your inspiration comes from? Keep up the good work.

Postby Huglojsk » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:37 pm

Huglojsk

This looks really awesome. The colours is really cool.The only bad thing I could find was the hand. Research some hand anatomy and this image would be perfect!

Postby Zjacklee » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:07 pm

Zjacklee

Very interesting concept and I really like your use of colours and the look and feel of the environment.

Somehow I can't seem to read the debt very well in the piece from his left arm. Try playing a bit with sharp and unsharp bits to convey this better. And about the hand, everyone said so already. ^_^
Next, i have a weird feeling about the placing of his head and his upperbody around the neck area and chest. It feels as if there is something missing, yet there isn't? hmm... I can't tell unless I try a paint over. it's like we are seeing the top of his shoulders, yet his chest isn't completely in the right angle to match the amount of the top?

maybe you can just take a small look there see if you don't find anything odd. (flip your canvas when you are trying to do this so you can get a fresh look on it again)

I would also try to push some darker values here and there but it doesn't look bad the way it is right now.

And story-wise, what's really going on? Right now for all i know it could just be a statue.
I think you can try to put some elements in your painting that will make him come off as more imposing and strong. you know, more alive.
Maybe some rubble around him or falling, some dust and things like that because of this colossus giant raising up.
And the hand that's on the ground could shatter things a bit around too. Not too much, just a bit to show it's immense weight.

All in all, not bad at all. nice work. :)

And one question... what is surrounding him? is it water? cause I see the reflection of the candles in front of him... and a bit of reflection on the lower right side of the painting. Yet I don't feel that it is water.
So, what is it?
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby alnoth » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:28 pm

alnoth

thought it was obvious its ice... :geek:

Postby Zjacklee » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:01 pm

Zjacklee

alnoth wrote:thought it was obvious its ice... :geek:

Hmm... interesting possibility. but the environment didn't give me that vibe. it feels rather warm. (not just the candles.)
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Zoju » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:42 am

Zoju

Same. It looks nice now that I know it's ice, but since nothing else looked icy or snowy, I just assumed that it's wet stone.

Postby FetusCake » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:21 am

FetusCake

Thanks so much, everybody. I really appreciate all the constructive criticism. It's all very helpful.

Return to Critique This!