Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Mr.R » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:11 pm

Mr.R

Subject title: Female Face- Feel free to turn this into a video.

Well, I really like to mess around with photoshop except for the fact that I hate everything I ever paint. Which is more or less the reason I thought I should ask for help.
This is my latest picture:
Amelia.jpg

[Edit] This topic is no longer about scarring. She now has a left eye. I am sorry if I have offended anybody.
Last edited by Mr.R on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Postby Fedodika » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Fedodika

Well first of all mate, i'm just gonna tell you that as the great Feng Zhu once said, "If you're going to be drawing, don't draw something with some guy with like his guts flying out, or something violent you know. You want to be mature, make something that people can look at and really get in to." That being said, if you want me to crit your piece while I'm eating some meal, please don't put some horrendous wound or something especially if you can't fully pull it off to look convincing. If you're here to shock people, don't. Go do that on /ic/ i'm sure they'd be more than happy to see that. ;)

Aside from that, her head is really square, and skulls are round. While your on google looking at scars, type in skull and check out how those are shaped; do some studies on them and also check out the andrew loomis method of drawing faces and finding planes. her neck is a very wierd shape and her left shoulder isn't really connecting in a natural way to the base of her neck. her lips are really off from under her nose. Look in the mirror or at any portrait and see how the lips connect to the nose with that little flap of skin.

You say you hate everything you paint? try to just draw for a while, draw things from life or check out posemaniacs or pixelovely to study figure drawings.

Not trying to be mean, but we got a nice community here; This isn't /ic/ there is no "1/10 OP needs to study anatomy wtf is this lol nice troll." we're nice, so be nice ;).

http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice- ... e-drawing/

Postby Mr.R » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:18 pm

Mr.R

Sorry, that was not the intention. It is a character design and I didn't mean to offend anybody. It's not that I enjoy painting horrendous things, she just happens to be like that because she is meant to represent a certain period in my life.

I am very sorry if my behaviour has offended anybody. I wanted to have tips on how to do the scarring, but I will remove it since it seems to make people uncomfortable (which is unfortunate considering disfiguration is a tragedy that the victims do not choose and that acceptation and tolerance would make their lifes much easier and bearable).

I will remove the second image and make a right eye so as to not shock readers. This topic is no longer about scarring.

Fedolka: first of all, thank you for the feedback, I build every face layer by layer from skull to skin but unfotunately it seems that I may make some muscles too thick and rounded. I will try Loomis' technique since it seems promising. Thank you for your time.
Last edited by Mr.R on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Fedodika » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:44 pm

Fedodika

It's not really a matter of acceptance or tolerance, it's just that most people don't go out of their way to (or particularly want to) see horrific disfigurements on a daily basis. It may represent a time in your life, but you are here for critique and not to particularly express some artistic meaning, you know? And it's not that your muscles are rounded or too thick, it is just that the forms need work; like look at the ear and see how it matched up with the jaw line; And if you REALLY want to learn about scarring, study values. That means just do black and white paintings and you will learn alot about how to make things look more realistic.

Welcome to the forum btw! :D

If you wanna get better fast, start a sketch book and update it everyday!

Postby alnoth » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:52 pm

alnoth

- her mouth seems to be too far to our left. that may be a grin of some sorts, but i dont buy it.

- the muscle of her neck, the big long one that we call head-turner, not sure of the official latin or even english term, has the wrong curvature. it curves out, not in - because it wraps around all the other stuff that is pretty much making a cyllinder. and it goes from back behind the jaw and down to the collarbone. with that wrong curvature it seems the whole neck is odd - shaped.

Postby Mr.R » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Mr.R

Corrections:
Alnoth:
-her mouth seems to be too far to our left. I moved her mouth to the right
-the sternocleidomastoideus has the wrong curvature It curves out not in. I redid the neck, however accounting for higher levels of subcutaneus fat in females I also made sure to make all muscles less pronounced.
Fedodika:
-her head is really square, and skulls are round. I tried somehow to make the entire head seem more cylindrical and rounded the corners of the face.
-the ear does not match with the jaw line.Thank you, I missed that one.
Things left to do:
Correct the body, figure out what is wrong with the eyes, polish the entire thing and add freckles and other details.
New version:
Amelia2.jpg

Ps. Unfortunately, I have not found a good reference for this picture. Actually, I have made most of it out of memory. Sadly, doing her entire body from memory may be beyond my actual skill-level so I wonder if anyone happens to know about a good webpage for reference models in which it is easy to find models at determined angles. Thank you.
Last edited by Mr.R on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Fedodika » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:36 pm

Fedodika

It's looking alot better, i would suggest starting on a new picture or doing some sketches. Posemaniacs is a good website for finding poses; it is on Sycra's recources near the top! Good luck keep drawing! :D

Postby Snakebreath » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:26 am

Snakebreath

What sticks with me at first look, and it might just be the way the hair line is rather high up, is that her forehead looks too big, I feel like the whole face should be a little bit higher up, that or make the hair line farther down on the head! :D

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:43 am

Ambiguity

Fedodika wrote:Well first of all mate, i'm just gonna tell you that as the great Feng Zhu once said, "If you're going to be drawing, don't draw something with some guy with like his guts flying out, or something violent you know. You want to be mature, make something that people can look at and really get in to." That being said, if you want me to crit your piece while I'm eating some meal, please don't put some horrendous wound or something especially if you can't fully pull it off to look convincing. If you're here to shock people, don't. Go do that on /ic/ i'm sure they'd be more than happy to see that. ;)
You should keep in mind Feng Zhu is a concept artist, that's the industry he knows. Concept art is not the same thing as illustration where the point of the latter is to tell the story instead of just "What does this character look like?". Also, I think the point Feng was trying to get at(which you did touch on, but I'm not sure you really understand) is that you don't want to draw grotesque things for the sake of grossing people out, that's what is considered immature since you are purposefully trying to offend the senses. As Mr.R stated, that was not his intention, nor did I get that feeling from him(pretty sure he even stated it wasn't the intention in the original post).

@ Mr.R: I saw nothing wrong with the subject matter of your original post, and if the scarring is part of the story of the character, it'd be ridiculous to leave it out. If you feel that's the case, then feel free to revert back to your original post.

Postby Mr.R » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:22 am

Mr.R

@ Ambiguity: I chose keloid scarring because it represents the powerlessness of human condition. A kind of scarring that only grows the more your try to remove it. Because there are certain tragedies in life you cannot fix, and things that are never going to be the way they used to be. In due time, Amelia´s father (she is called Amelia), who is quite a prodigy of a doctor, does manage to get her face back to normal, but by then she is so broken a person that it becomes quite obvious that certain kinds of damage cannot be undone.

On the other hand I do agree with Fedodika in that with my actual skill-level I cannot pull-off the scarring convincingly. Neither can I, as for that matter, make justice to the character. I have decided to start a sketch-book in hopes that one day I will be able to draw and paint convincingly. When that day comes, I will draw her face with scars as I intended it to be, but not before.

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:56 am

Ambiguity

Mr.R wrote: I have decided to start a sketch-book in hopes that one day I will be able to draw and paint convincingly. When that day comes, I will draw her face with scars as I intended it to be, but not before.

Fair enough, and a very smart choice in my opinion, it definitely got me practicing more than I have in a long time.

Return to Critique This!