Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Lucivol » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:34 pm

Lucivol

Subject title: Beast thing [Video's okay]

Hi, I've been tearing at my hairs for a while on this drawing now. I can't seem to create suitable legs for this kind of thing (it doesn't look like anything but I like it ^^). I've tried so much things for those legs that I think the next time I erase I will go right through the paper x)
So if you have some critisms to do on the overall drawing I'll be more than happy to here them and if you have some ideas for those legs, I'd be delighted ^^

Here's the drawing ;)

(and I think I might add wings, but I'm not completely sure)

Oh and sorry for my approximate english :)

(don't know why but this is the second time I upload this topic 'cause the first time there was non after I clicked the button "submit", strange)

Postby Fedodika » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:08 am

Fedodika

Hey man! I recommend drawing this creature in a more interesting pose to force you to learn your form a little better. the problem i am having with this guy is where his body meets the ground, the armor on him makes him seem flat. like, that or the curve is making his spine (Which i assume he may have) do a very unnatural bend. Even if he had no spine, the bend seems really uncomfortable. Give it a shot and draw him in a different pose ;)

Postby Lucivol » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:51 am

Lucivol

Thanks for those advices. I'll try drawing it in different poses, that will be a good exercise for me (I have difficulties drawing the same things twice, and even more when I have to fill in the part I've never drawn ^^).
For the spine, I wanted it to kind look unnatural and strange, but you're probably right. That's maybe why I'm having so much difficulties to draw it's legs.

(I'm a girl by the way ;) )

Postby Fedodika » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:04 am

Fedodika

Sorry girl :p! Another thing is, try not to worry so much about detail, draw this thing as many times as you can till you can draw him in any pose. just make sure his shape is working and then the details always come last. Remember if your fundamentals are wrong, it doesn't matter how much you detail it, it will look unnatural and the people who matter most won't be able to take it seriously. Welcome to forum BTW!

Also, check out posemaniacs and pixelovely for figure drawing. Try doing a short session and remember to block out the big shapes first, then worry about details once you are confident with the overall form. Learning the human form will help you learn all forms, but if you are a beginner, just draw what you like till you're really ready to get better. ;)

http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice- ... e-drawing/

Postby vanyossi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:26 am

vanyossi

Work forward. Using an eraser to correct will help you little as frustration will start to build-up.

My advice, before you rip the page. Anytime you want to draw something (or are struggling with something, like this) take another piece of paper (or in the corner of the current one) and make tiny drawings, explorations. This thumbnails will allow you to explore all kinds of poses, leg types, addons, angles, without starting to detail anything. Once you have a pose or anatomy you want (perhaps a curly worm just awaken from its noon nap, just sightly incorporating on its insect limbs, in a rather flee like view with extreme foreshortening) then you upscale it and start working on details.

An example of what I'm talking about http://25.media.tumblr.com/bcdbefd57223 ... 1_1280.jpg

cheers

Postby Lucivol » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:28 pm

Lucivol

Thank you so much you two ! It really helps a lot. I'll try doing all the things you've adviced me to do and then I'll show you if it's not to bad. ^^
I didn't know this website (http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice- ... e-drawing/). It's awesome !

Postby Lucivol » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Lucivol

Thanks to you both I found how to draw the legs. But I'm still working on trying to be able to draw him in different poses (the most difficult is it's head).

You can see the legs on the upper left picture

Postby Fedodika » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:49 am

Fedodika

You're improving! keep up the good work and keep studying! :D

Return to Critique This!