Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby malmana » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:43 am

malmana

Subject title: BW skecth (video ok)

Hello. Here is a little black and white sketch I did last night and I decided to show this for critique before cleaning this up and adding more details.The clouds and peoples are weird as what but how does the composition and values work as a story telling elements?
city spacshippi.jpg

Postby vanyossi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:52 am

vanyossi

It works as a staging scene. the values are good to set a distance and the figures help to grip the scale of the buildings.
To me there is no story going on in the picture. the composition is a bit center weight and there is no apparent reading order. The subject matter or, the most important thing seems to be the building, and if I try my best I think I can see the heads of the humans facing the sky.

I would add a bit of story and clarity adding a more obvious gesture to the people. Like raising the arm to point at the subject. and placing the "ship" (on top of the building) in the middle of an action, like taking off or landing. You could add some foreground elements to help on the reading and some other stuff going on in the city.

That's my critique.

cheers.

Return to Critique This!