Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

 

Postby Kaylimepie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:57 am

  Kaylimepie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 11:40 am

Subject title: Finally 'painted' something lookign for Critique :)

Image
Just looking for critique on this , not the pose please I didn't spend any time on it at all it wasn't an exercise on posing and I didn't even know if I would finish it.
Yes I don't want you to critique the pose because it ISN'T MINE it is from here http://mictones.deviantart.com/art/Cent ... -336693995 thank you to the person who politely reminded me that i didn't let you guys know, sorry for any confusion.

Thanks to anyone who critiques this its a great help :D

And Sycra you can use this for video critique
Last edited by Kaylimepie on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

 

Postby alnoth » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:59 am

  alnoth
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:30 am

its pretty good overall, a few minor points...

- the values of the purple hair and her bra are very close to each other, which means you somewhat lost the contour line of her breast against the hair, which is a shame i think.
- her arrow holding hand looks wonky. you might indicate the wrist better, as it is, the forearm, wrist and hand all blend into one mass. also, u usually pull the string with two fingers only.
- its also strange that she is not looking at whatever she is aiming at, but i can live with that
- with the backdrop you give the feeling of a misty mountains place or some such, but the contours of the centaurs body are as crisp as can be - whether in foreground or the hind legs. i think it would get more depth if some of that background fogginess would obscure the very hard outlines.

 

Postby IversonDesign » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:35 pm

  IversonDesign
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:30 pm

I agree with the first poster.

Overall it's a great piece. Here are my suggestions:
One, an archer looks down the arrow as they aim. As you have it now, would be hard on an archer, to hold the string drawn back, without actually aiming.
You could do one of two things. First, you could raise the bow and arrow to match her gaze, or you could change her eyes to be looking down the arrow.
Alternatively, you could have her hold the string, not drawn back, so it looks more as in preparation of drawing the arrow back.
The pose you drew is 'possible' but you do have mixed messages as to what she is doing.
Also, she has her left hand first finger, holding the arrow to the bow. Again, this is good when she does not have the string drawn back.
But once an archer draws the string back, then they release the arrow with their left hand, and balance it against the bow, otherwise when
they release the arrow, the feathers will slice their finger (ouch!)
If you keep her hand as is, then you need to shorten her finger a little,and/ or give more definition to the first knuckle.

Second, is the horses hooves. Try doing some studies on horse hooves, they actually have what is called a fetlock joint, just above the hoof that is very prominent.
Your basic horse anatomy is really really good. One thing you could add is a bit more dramatic highlights and shadows, because when a horse gets upset, or has been riding for a long time they do sweat all over, causing their coat to get glossy. It would make the piece highly attractive. You could also add the high shine to her hair to make it a bit more cohesive. Maybe work on a anime hair tutorial. Not for the anime part, but a lot of them simplify the hair into shadows and highlights, and make it a lot easier.

I do really like your piece, these are just some of the things I would change.

Keep up the great work!

 

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:24 am

User avatar
  Brian Kouhi
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:50 pm

I'm not sure if this has been metioned yet, but i think the transition between her skin and the horse's fur, is waaay too soft. i think if u have it get a little darker perhaps and start adding little bunches of fur or a more hairy texture it will look a bit better, but that could be personal preference. your choice, Goodluck. :)
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

 

Postby fideliz25 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:50 pm

  fideliz25
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:32 am
Location: Philippines

overall good work :)

well most my observations are already posted by the three previous posters
but all i can say its its like it has too much hard edges..like the whole characters has been cut and pasted to the canvas or something or a cardboard cutout
maybe you could smooth out some of the lines like the one near her pelvis/torso of the horse but not that smooth too :D ..maybe smooth out her armpits or her horse body?
also the hair add some litle wisps of it flying out to avoid that straight look shes is a wild centaur lady after all so make the har a bit "wilder" :)

hope this helps especially on the hard edges part..kinda feel i didnt explain it right :cry:

 

Postby Kaylimepie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:32 am

  Kaylimepie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 11:40 am

alnoth wrote:its pretty good overall, a few minor points...

- the values of the purple hair and her bra are very close to each other, which means you somewhat lost the contour line of her breast against the hair, which is a shame i think.
- her arrow holding hand looks wonky. you might indicate the wrist better, as it is, the forearm, wrist and hand all blend into one mass. also, u usually pull the string with two fingers only.
- its also strange that she is not looking at whatever she is aiming at, but i can live with that
- with the backdrop you give the feeling of a misty mountains place or some such, but the contours of the centaurs body are as crisp as can be - whether in foreground or the hind legs. i think it would get more depth if some of that background fogginess would obscure the very hard outlines.


Thanks I did know her arm was wonky but id never have thought of the last one :D
THE PURPOSE OF CRITIQUE RIGHT THERE

Also you draw a bow with youre index finger middle figner and ring finger, your index goes above the arrow and the other two below :)
I even looked up reference for the hands <3

 

Postby Kaylimepie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:35 am

  Kaylimepie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 11:40 am

Brian Kouhi wrote:I'm not sure if this has been metioned yet, but i think the transition between her skin and the horse's fur, is waaay too soft. i think if u have it get a little darker perhaps and start adding little bunches of fur or a more hairy texture it will look a bit better, but that could be personal preference. your choice, Goodluck. :)


I tried that and it ended up looking reaaallly unnatural im really not sure how to pull off a hard contrast without texturing the horse body ( like drawing the fur) and im really not ready for that XD Ive tried

 

Postby Beazann » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:50 am

  Beazann
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Looks a bit too familiar.

 

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:57 am

User avatar
  Ambiguity
Posts: 5524
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:55 am
Location: Your dreams

Beazann wrote:Looks a bit too familiar.

That's not a very good critique, but I think it looks like the Hercules stuff from Disney.

 

Postby Beazann » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:14 am

  Beazann
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Ambiguity wrote:
Beazann wrote:Looks a bit too familiar.

That's not a very good critique, but I think it looks like the Hercules stuff from Disney.


I meant that it looks a little too much like one of Mictones' works.

 

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:23 am

User avatar
  Ambiguity
Posts: 5524
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:55 am
Location: Your dreams

Beazann wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:
Beazann wrote:Looks a bit too familiar.

That's not a very good critique, but I think it looks like the Hercules stuff from Disney.


I meant that it looks a little too much like one of Mictones' works.

Oh I thought you meant stylistically, but yes it's exactly the same posing, good catch.

 

Postby Beazann » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:36 am

  Beazann
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Anyway, my 2 cents:

- ears should still follow human's ear anatomy structure, just with a little bit tweeked proportions
- I'm not sure if horse part should have such strong highlights on it, too glossy
- anatomy problems (bellow bra area, armpit, nose, clavicle). Good site for quick refrence http://www.anatomyforsculptors.com/

 

Postby Kaylimepie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:51 am

  Kaylimepie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 11:40 am

Ambiguity wrote:
Beazann wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:
Beazann wrote:Looks a bit too familiar.

That's not a very good critique, but I think it looks like the Hercules stuff from Disney.


I meant that it looks a little too much like one of Mictones' works.

Oh I thought you meant stylistically, but yes it's exactly the same posing, good catch.


That is quite something considering ive never seen that movie... show me the 'posing'?

 

Postby Kaylimepie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:54 am

  Kaylimepie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 11:40 am

Beazann wrote:Anyway, my 2 cents:

- ears should still follow human's ear anatomy structure, just with a little bit tweeked proportions
- I'm not sure if horse part should have such strong highlights on it, too glossy
- anatomy problems (bellow bra area, armpit, nose, clavicle). Good site for quick refrence http://www.anatomyforsculptors.com/


- i thought they did?
- most likely not i didn't blend properly here...
- i know her face anatomy is off and i know where and why, also I smudged the armpit by accident and only realised when I uploaded the piece over on DeviantArt as for the rest im not sure exactly what you mean.

Could you give me some more detail please?

 

Postby Kuronuma » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:56 am

User avatar
  Kuronuma
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:04 pm

Kaylimepie wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:
Beazann wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:
Beazann wrote:Looks a bit too familiar.

That's not a very good critique, but I think it looks like the Hercules stuff from Disney.


I meant that it looks a little too much like one of Mictones' works.

Oh I thought you meant stylistically, but yes it's exactly the same posing, good catch.


That is quite something considering ive never seen that movie... show me the 'posing'?


Well I think the main thing here is that what you did is basically a copy. Or well it's very closely based on something and you should always let others know about that.

Image
Check out my deviantart! http://psycadela.deviantart.com/
And my sketchbook viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8210&start=340 :)

Oh oh! I created my fb page! https://www.facebook.com/psycadela

 

Postby Kaylimepie » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:59 am

  Kaylimepie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 11:40 am

Kuronuma wrote:
Kaylimepie wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:
Beazann wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:
Beazann wrote:Looks a bit too familiar.

That's not a very good critique, but I think it looks like the Hercules stuff from Disney.


I meant that it looks a little too much like one of Mictones' works.

Oh I thought you meant stylistically, but yes it's exactly the same posing, good catch.


That is quite something considering ive never seen that movie... show me the 'posing'?


Well I think the main thing here is that what you did is basically a copy. Or well it's very closely based on something and you should always let others know about that.

Image


Oh yes i did base the pose off that I linked it on my Deviant Art page and completely forgot here!
Thanks wish the first person had just posted that ill link to it.


Return to Critique This!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron