Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby ComicalCat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:29 am

ComicalCat

Subject title: Girl

I just wanted a critique on my style/color/everything.

-
thanks in advance! :)
Girly008.jpg

Postby Snakebreath » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:54 am

Snakebreath

In my opinion its hard to critique a piece which is really cartoony, as thats the style your going for. And for cartoon art there is really no way to say "thats wrong" because its meant to look in proportionate. But I like your style, personally I would add some shadows, thats the only thing I can point out.

Postby ComicalCat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:42 am

ComicalCat

Thanks. Yeah, the quality got destroyed in the scanner. About the style, I'm trying to get my own style and this is a test of it.

Postby Waveloop » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:57 am

Waveloop

dude I think your trying to run before you learn how to walk.

the best way I can describe this is... think of hand writing, you know calligraphy. Everyone has it's own calligraphy. But nobody trys to develop they're own personal hand writing before they learn how to write and read. Before they learn vocabulary lexical syntax and grammar.

you should first try to master all kinds of things... "your style" eventually will emerge out of your practice.

Theres not really anything I can say about this drawing. first it's only a really simple looking face with nothing for me to critique... I can't even identify a personal style, since I'm pretty sure a lot of beginners could do it exactly like that. So my advise is, get into the basics, don't worry about personal style right now... start a sketchbook (if you haven't already) and upload various sketches so one can see what your doing, and how you're doing it.

Postby Waveloop » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:59 am

Waveloop

Ok I see you've started one already... but I stand by what I said... get into the basics dude... style will come much much later.

Postby ComicalCat » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:50 pm

ComicalCat

Hmmmm....

Postby Zoju » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:09 am

Zoju

The head has no construction, like you drew the different pieces of the head entirely separately, or started working on the finished look without sketching first.
Up to the forehead, it looks like a full frontal piece, then we see it's a 3/4 view with a chin out of place, a neck attached to the head in the wrong place, and the earrings being shapeless and of different size.

All of these problems can be fixed if you know your basics; proportions, anatomy, perspective, to name a few. All of these are needed, even for cartoons.
Don't concentrate on style yet, start at the beginning. Learn the basics.

Postby Waveloop » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:41 am

Waveloop

hey man my advice is free... you don't have to like it. And if it makes you mad even better. just get to work and prove me wrong... ;)

when you put your stuff in the critique area, sometimes you get burned. You don't have to agree with it.... but I have to say it, or I'm not being honest... and not much help at all

Postby Zjacklee » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:58 pm

Zjacklee

Hi there,

from what I see... I agree with waveloop.
Think of it this way... when you are drawing with a style, you are consciously bending the rules of reality. You can only do that effectively when you really know how something looks or works in real.

One small example I can point out or ask you about your drawing is... why did you make her face so asymmetrical in figure? (real faces are indeed asymmetrical but only in small details, not the whole skull shape usually )

anyways, Good luck! stay motivated!
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby marvel57 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:26 pm

marvel57

Hmmmm.. :ugeek:

Postby vanyossi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:14 am

vanyossi

If your drawing style is going to involve humans you need to study structure of the body to at least the minimal: Proportion.

The cartoony coloring style looks good. As a critique, I think you are skipping the skeleton phase: drawing a sphere/pear-shape or similar to place your character features.

Keep up the practice!

Return to Critique This!