Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby fideliz25 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:05 am

fideliz25

Subject title: Critique this please (Video Critique is highly appreciated)

hello!

Ive been following Sycra's Videos for some time now (and also PencilKings!) and it really helped me a lot in my drawing skills
but ive been too shy or too scared to actually show off my drawings to other artists and well im breaking that shell and need some criticism's to improve myself to realize my dream to be a good illustrator/concept artist

here is one of my art pieces i like to be critiqued..color,composition,everything..the works! thanks!

Postby Dream » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:19 am

Dream

Woah, man... That's really, really awesome. I seriously love the drawing.

I can't say much about colors since i don't know about them, but as an observer i feel that they fit in the unity and seem to be the right colors. Composition-wise i think this is excellent. Form and value are pretty much perfect. All this combined with the "beyond illustration" expression/feel of the drawing make it really pleasing/interesting to look at.

Sorry, i know it isn't much help, but i just thought someone should mention what a great drawing this is.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby Brian Kouhi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:59 am

Brian Kouhi

Was this inspired by a League of Legends character by any chance? more specifically 'Annie'? :)
Great work, looks fantastic.
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby fideliz25 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:32 pm

fideliz25

Brian Kouhi wrote:Was this inspired by a League of Legends character by any chance? more specifically 'Annie'? :)
Great work, looks fantastic.

Thanks! so my reference was from league of legends :D this was mostly inspired from a book i read a long time ago and i searched some pictures for ideas

Dream wrote:
I can't say much about colors since i don't know about them, but as an observer i feel that they fit in the unity and seem to be the right colors. Composition-wise i think this is excellent. Form and value are pretty much perfect. All this combined with the "beyond illustration" expression/feel of the drawing make it really pleasing/interesting to look at.

Sorry, i know it isn't much help, but i just thought someone should mention what a great drawing this is.

thanks it still helps :D at least i know im in the right track in studying the fundamentals of art :)

Postby imcostalong » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:57 pm

imcostalong

Critiquing this is a little out of my pay grade, there is a lot going on here that I just don't know how I personally would improve because it is well done (I lack VISION!!! > <). However, I will say something that I'm critiqued a lot on, which is the composition and forms. A worms eye view with the bear behind the girl may really bring that overcast the bear is creating. Maybe also darken up the background a bit so you can bring more attention to the girl and give a more looming feeling to the bear. Her pose could also be a little more interesting with a little more character behind it. She is just kind of stagnant there, the bear works for SURE like that, but maybe a more dynamic angle would really sell the piece more. I dunno, I just see a lot of my own shortcomings in this, and I am relaying some suggestions that are commonly given to me. There are loads of emotions going on here but I really think you need to push everything more. The composition in dead center like that is pretty boring too, I think you could pull it off if you had more asymmetrical elements like playing with adjacent angles on the bears arm positions or something.

I dunno if I made sense, and I don't have much room to talk.
Always looking for good critiques, help, and direction... There is always room for improvement

Postby fideliz25 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:53 am

fideliz25

imcostalong wrote:Critiquing this is a little out of my pay grade, there is a lot going on here that I just don't know how I personally would improve because it is well done (I lack VISION!!! > <). However, I will say something that I'm critiqued a lot on, which is the composition and forms. A worms eye view with the bear behind the girl may really bring that overcast the bear is creating. Maybe also darken up the background a bit so you can bring more attention to the girl and give a more looming feeling to the bear. Her pose could also be a little more interesting with a little more character behind it. She is just kind of stagnant there, the bear works for SURE like that, but maybe a more dynamic angle would really sell the piece more. I dunno, I just see a lot of my own shortcomings in this, and I am relaying some suggestions that are commonly given to me. There are loads of emotions going on here but I really think you need to push everything more. The composition in dead center like that is pretty boring too, I think you could pull it off if you had more asymmetrical elements like playing with adjacent angles on the bears arm positions or something.

I dunno if I made sense, and I don't have much room to talk.

dude this really helps on my composition knowledge thanks a lot! :D I get what you mean by a more interesting angle i mean some of my friends also gave such a critique that i could have made it off with a more dynamic view not just plain front view and it was my initial plan to make a dynamic view but kinda ended up doing a front view instead :( anyway ill take these suggestions to heart especially on subject focus, pose and more interesting views for my next pieces :D thanks again!

Return to Critique This!