Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Snakebreath » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:08 pm

Snakebreath

Subject title: Nightingale - Critique this! (Video Okay)

So I just started digital painting as of a few days ago, and this is my first attempt at a semi realistic painting. The painting is of a Nightingale from the game Skyrim. Let me know anything which could be done better, or that you would change!

Postby Brian Kouhi » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:40 pm

Brian Kouhi

Well the first thing i see, which i think every one will agree with, is the shoulders. Ones shorter than the other, and i think they're both too short compared to the dude's head :)
Another, is that it's kind of hard to make out where the background ends and the figure's body starts(unless that was intentional, in which case i would suggest to try and make it more obvious).
Hope that helped a bit, Keep up the good work ;)
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby Fedodika » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:43 pm

Fedodika

The rendering looks pretty sharp! Just remember a good way to measure shoulder lengths is usually two head lengths wide. Watch some videos about proportion; this one is pretty useful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdNQR7xYW5k

Postby Snakebreath » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:22 am

Snakebreath

Thanks! I noticed with a lot of my art my proportions are one of my main issues, I'll try to work on it!

Postby Zoju » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:46 am

Zoju

The helmet could use some more precise construction, right now the parts of it don't really make one solid shape, they are uneven and asymmetrical.
The head is kind of wide and round, too. Even though his whole head is covered, you still have to use proportions. The eyes seem far from each other.
Same thing with the neck, it could be a little longer, which is necessary if you want to fix the shoulders, too.
The other thing is lighting; it looks good on the head, but makes the plates look kinda flat. Looking at the reference pictures, the plates aren't shiny (they are thieves, after all, reflective armor is not good) and they are kinda ribbed with lines, which your shading doesn't show.
The lighting could use some work on the cloth on the shoulders, too. Use this as a reference: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... ngale1.jpg
The colors look kinda blue and light, too. If that's a result of the lighting, make it more obvious.

I don't really understand your composition, either. The canvas is very wide for a bust, and the entire left side is empty. I wish he was doing something, too. Aiming the bow at the viewer, perhaps?

I hope I helped.

Postby Snakebreath » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:53 am

Snakebreath

Thanks for the advice! I used a reference, which was in a cave with a type of bluish lighting (thats why the armour is blueish in spots :P) But the reason for the width/uninteresting pose is because I made this image for my FB cover page and the dimensions of the image needed to be like this. This was more a practice at blending than anything as I just started, but thanks for pointing out what I could work on! :D

Postby Zoju » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Zoju

I suspected it to be a forum signature, but yeah, I get it now. The chest seems cut off too suddenly anyway, maybe make a little more space for him. That would also allow you to make a pose or something.

I'm glad I could help. If you make an updated version, be sure to post it!

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:43 pm

Brian Kouhi

Hey bud, i just used the liquify tool and the Burn tool with my mouse, and tried to confront some of the problems talked about, and maybe fix the anatomy a little. Hope this helped. oh also hope u dont mind me messing around with your image :)
Nightingale_2013.png
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby Snakebreath » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:12 pm

Snakebreath

No problem, I like it! It adds a cool affect with much more contrast, thanks for the help!

Postby Spacecookie » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:30 pm

Spacecookie

One small thing I've noticed is that you have quite a sharp light from the front, lighting up the face mask and the front of the hood. and yet there's blackness where there'd be some hint of eyes/goggles/cyberwear, despite the direct light pointing in exactly that direction.

Postby Snakebreath » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:03 pm

Snakebreath

The reference I used was from a game, the blackness in that area is part of the overall design I think, though I definitely see what you mean. xD

Return to Critique This!