Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Nipponkage » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:14 am

Nipponkage

Subject title: Fan Fiction Character - More Interesting Pose

This was done last night while I was supposed to be asleep. Basically with this I tried to draw my Fan Fiction Character in a (as the title says) more interesting pose. Although I highly doubt that the proportions are right (I think I screwed up again). And before anyone asks, yes I did do a stick-figure first. I do apologise for the poor image quality.
Photo1.jpg

Postby Snakebreath » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Snakebreath

I feel the biggest proportional mistake is the feet, the one thats further away seems larger than the one thats closer.

Postby Nipponkage » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:37 pm

Nipponkage

I know the drawing if not good :oops: , but I wanted to try colouring it. What do you think?
Logen.jpg

Postby Fedodika » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:50 pm

Fedodika

FOOT IS SO BIG
HIP IS SO NOT CONNECTING TO LEG
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Postby Nipponkage » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:01 pm

Nipponkage

It's not the foot it's just the shoe.

Postby Fedodika » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Fedodika

I circled the things i changed..

The mouth just looked weird being as small as it was so i added a little jaw
I moved the muscle more the left as human bicep muscles don't begin very close the the fore arm. also i added more flesh to the shoulder so it connected better with the torso

If you are painting anything, black line art just looks bad, so try to make the line art disappear and then when you get better with form you may be able to incorporate some line art into your style and it will look nice. one guy i know who does this well is this guy http://diterlizzi.com/home/books-gallery/ But even there, he keeps his line art to a minimum.

I tried to fix the shoe, but it's up to you to really look at how the leg is connecting to the hip. Don't use things like the little kilt thingy he has to mask any knowledge you may have of anatomy/perspective. I mean, it's okay to have the kilt thing, but make sure his legs make sense first in any pose. also the shoe that is further back should be angled a little more to fit the pose.

Hands are hard SO DRAW ALOT OF EM :D
Hope this helped

Learn your fundamantals: anatomy, perspective, proportion, and composition and your paintings will get better super fast ;)
Untitled-5.jpg

Postby Nipponkage » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:57 pm

Nipponkage

I've tried drawing him again (not a very interesting pose, but oh well), right now I'm just at the stage where I'm putting on the skin, and I'm wondering. Do the legs in this look ok?

p.s. sorry I haven't been able to connect my printer to my laptop yet so it's just webcam photos at the moment.
Try it out.jpg
Again sorry about the quality. :(

Postby Fedodika » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:46 pm

Fedodika

try to make the legs a little longer... try studying anatomy, check out Pixelovely and Posemaniacs; though i prefer pixelovely http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice- ... e-drawing/

also this vid may be useful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdNQR7xYW5k for following proportions

Postby Nipponkage » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:01 pm

Nipponkage

I probably should have mentioned that the character is 6.5 heads tall to make him look more like a child. Plus I wanted to make the head look slightly bigger than the body, to give it more of a manga feel.

Edit: I've already seen that vid. But thanks anyway. :)

Postby vanyossi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:43 am

vanyossi

After you polish a little more your fundamentals you will find this video useful to plan poses http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1nxf5KQ2Js

About the legs issue, I think there are a bit short but the main problem are the feet, a good rule, but not universal, is to point the foot in the same direction the knee is pointing.

Return to Critique This!