Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Spacecookie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Spacecookie

Subject title: Ok, um, first time daring doo.

Hello, um, so I'm being quite bold and all, but um... well there's this picture see... and, well... I'm stuck with it. I have in mind, something cold, and slightly foggy/heavy mist to suggest mystical. The theme is 'The ice maker' or something similar, because it's a title screen for a game, and the main villainous antagonist is a mysterious magic user at the start, who's bringing about winter, but it's because she had some terrible things happen in her life, so she has to show a lack of emotion as she doesn't want to connect with her humanity, 'n' stuff.

I'm really stuck with how to make it more ... um... more... well less really I suppose. Less surreal, and more realistic, with a snowy scene, showing her workings on nature, and the fog is the mystery, obscuring and stuff. I plan to add faint fireflies to lighten certain areas eventually, to vaguely suggest that the light of life is fleeting but still exists in the magic.

This is the image so far. Can anyone help please, especially with the background/plants? Feel free to scribble all over it and things. lol
Spoiler: show
Ice-lady_3_x.jpg

Postby bomberrrrrman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:55 pm

bomberrrrrman

Untitled-1.jpg

You need add more shadow on her face. With this little changes she looks more realistic i think ;)

Postby Spacecookie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Spacecookie

Thank you very much. I think that's one of my problems is that I'm too subtle with shading, so it doesn't look like the object I'm drawing is real enough.

I know I still have hair to do, and the fireflies, but I feel that I need is some sort of pointers on background perhaps too...

So a slight update with better shading.
Ice-lady_3_x.jpg

Postby Spacecookie » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Spacecookie

So here I am today with this image. I'm thinking of toning the background down a lot, making it far more of a far background, then going to attempt to put in more plant-like structures in focus, to give it more direction. That is also what I had in mind for the little fireflies, so I can add a little light/colour in certain places.

I'd still appreciate some input if anyone would be happy to :)

Ice-lady_4.jpg

Postby Spacecookie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Spacecookie

Progress.

I think the progress is due to hanging out here, looking at other people constructing stuff in the critique forum here, and watching Sycra, and related videos on youtube, almost to the exclusion of everything else since I joined here, because I really do want to improve more than anything. It's been very helpful being here, and I'd just like to thank everyone for their contributions on these forums as it's all helpful for the little things as well as the big ones.

This is where my image is now, and I have references for the background now too, which will be painted over the top of the background I have already, as it's the far background that I have here.

Ice-lady_5_x.jpg

Postby Zjacklee » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Zjacklee

Hey Cookie, (haha, that almost sounds like a flirt. xD )

I haven't given critique on your piece yet cause to be honest, I found it a bit hard to say anything about it so far.
Your painting is very soft and vague and very desaturated. everything is like washed up together. I couldn't see well what was going on.
the atmosphere seems very cold. is that what you are going for?

What kind of painting are you aiming to make? do you have a style you are using as a reference for ideas?

Right now I feel that the girls face is missing charm. I can't read any emotion from her.
I cannot see much of the form either. the hair could use some more care too. as in the flow, direction, shape and volume. ( if you need some tips about how to draw hair, let me know )
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Spacecookie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:44 pm

Spacecookie

Thankyou very much. It's all about bitter cold setting in to emotions, with a broken, frozen heart and stuff like that in the past, and her hiding her emotions under a wintry mask, both literal and expressively, so I feel it must be working then. lol

I realised part of my failing is in the whole making it feel more tangible by being a bit stronger with the difference between my lights and darks, but then I'm trying to be mindful because of the theme, keeping in mind words like cold, expressionless, wintry, iced heart, and all emotion/passion being lost to the main figure, so I'm trying to reflect that with colour use and elements associated to the symbolism of a state of being bereft of emotion, like the plants being dead in appearance, bereft of green life etc.

The object of the game (as she is the main focus, bringing winter to a land when it should be Spring and getting warmer) will be to defeat her by reminding her of a time when she was a lot more emotional and even happy, and doing that sort of thing.

I'll be working on the hair as one of the final aspects as I want it to reflect the lighting of the surroundings, so far it's just kindof the base colour and flow there. :)

Return to Critique This!