Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby exewon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:41 pm

exewon

Subject title: Shocked expression second try.

I listened to the advice you guy's gave me and here it is my second try at a shocked expression.

I'm aware the helmet is different from the last picture. I completely forgot about that one untill I gave another look at my previous drawing. Oops ^^; oh well, it wasn't that important so I just left it in. Trying to fix such things so late in the drawing usually ends up with me wrecking the entire drawing ^^;

Postby Zjacklee » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:50 pm

Zjacklee

hehe, he does indeed seem more shocked now. good!

Now dude... you are starting to practice expressions but I think you could benefit if you took a little step back to analyse the face proportion and general placement of things.
An example would be the ears on the dude which are too high.
ears start around the tip point(middle horizon) of your eye.

Trying to fix such things so late in the drawing usually ends up with me wrecking the entire drawing ^^;

Never be afraid to erase and redo it. if you see there is something wrong, be confident you can make it better. ;)
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby exewon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:17 pm

exewon

You are probably right about that. I just didn't know where to start with drawing in general and just picked out the face and its expressions as a decent starting point.. It isn't as if you can just ignore that as an artist :).

So the top of the ears start somewhat around the middle of the eye then.

Spoiler: show

Like that then? Or higher lower?(hope it's clear enough ^^;)

Also aside from the to high ears. What are also big mistakes in composition of the face that jump out at you?

Well, Thats pretty hard to do with tradition drawing in my opinion.. After a few times of erasing the lines just stick and it becomes a mess.

Postby Zjacklee » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:08 pm

Zjacklee

exewon wrote:You are probably right about that. I just didn't know where to start with drawing in general and just picked out the face and its expressions as a decent starting point.. It isn't as if you can just ignore that as an artist :).

So the top of the ears start somewhat around the middle of the eye then.
Like that then? Or higher lower?(hope it's clear enough ^^;)

Well, Thats pretty hard to do with tradition drawing in my opinion.. After a few times of erasing the lines just stick and it becomes a mess.

Dude, about the height... the best answer I can give you is check some pictures. check yourself in the mirror. :)
An image is better then a 1000 words! :P
Your eyes will be one of the most important tools as an artist that you need to develop. keep that in mind. observe, watch... see! :)

It wouldn't help out right now for me to point out all mistakes on your drawing. there is so much info to throw in one go.
things like composition, form, light and darkness, perspective and so on and so on.
just study parts slowly.

How I learned to draw was by observing and drawing from reference. In the beginning you won't be making anything original but you will get more confident and a sense of what looks good. that's what you want to develop.
I say this all the time... if you can't see something you can not draw it. if you can't visualise it, you can not draw it. and this visual library is what you want to build.

And about it being hard to do...
maybe you have to approach it differently. different set of tools. tracing paper etc etc. get to know your tools well. that's very important!
When I draw traditionally I remember using like 6 different pencils. xD each of them had a different purpose, effect and feel.

good luck all in all.

what kind of artist do you want to be at the moment if I were to ask you that? Is there anyone you admire?
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby exewon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:45 pm

exewon

What kind of artist.. I dunno actually. I want to be able to draw machines/people and backgrounds. Leaning more towards western style drawings though. Like disney did in its animation days.

As for artist I admire. The entire disney animation team. Those guy's are great. Iron giant, Treasure planet, lion king,tarzan, robin hood. All great animated movies that I can probably pinpoint as the reason I wanna draw.
Sycra is also one his art is great. A certain guy called darkspeeds on deviantart also has good art in my opinion.

And thats good advice ^^; slow down and learn to see. Still it's a bit hard, I think every competent artist knows how much they wanted to draw robots, undead gunslingers and who knows what other cool things when they just started out.

Return to Critique This!