Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby schlaendrian » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:49 pm

schlaendrian

Subject title: perspective, shading, colouring, anatomy

mhm. that's it. i know, this is a very bad scan, but i din't want to work over it digitally, because it should be as close to the original drawing as possible, even though it looks a bit more flat than in nature, now.

this is from my sketchbook. it startet with the flying guy. notice the left arm/hand... how should it have been in right persepctive?

then i decided to add the hands and the dramativ background-colouring and light-source, to make it look like flying through the night, dreaming, or something like that.
but it just looks very flat and the shading and shadows are just not right, i think.

the water started to kill the paper, so i had to stop working over it again... just tell me anything you might notice, how i could have done better.

Spoiler: show

--- i really like, it, anyway. i am just hoping that i will be able to do a better version, soon :)

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:00 am

Ambiguity

I think you have the right idea, you just need to push your values more, especially on the shadow side; of course since you're working with water colors that'll take a few hours. His left arm is way too small though, even if you're purposefully exaggerating the foreshortening it just looks like he has a really tiny arm.

Postby schlaendrian » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:12 pm

schlaendrian

hey ambiguity,

yep, the value-thing alway has been a problem for me. i think the problem is, that with watercolours (or any kind of "traditional" painting), that i am always afraid to ruin it all by working it over and over again.

i just have to do some more studies to get the values and the coloring-technique right.

tank you!

Postby Fedodika » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:33 pm

Fedodika

Hey nice colors! yea, work on that kids arm, it's too small and the big hand on the left's thumb could be a little longer! keep it up!

Postby marvel57 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:38 pm

marvel57

Fedo- is this drawn inside 2 shallow boxes? :ugeek:

Return to Critique This!