Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Russet » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:10 am

Russet

Subject title: Anthro tips needed

I don't know if you can see it clearly, but the figure on the right is supposed to be an anthropomorphic cat. The problem is that it started out as a panda, then a wolf, and then a cat (I'm not exactly a planner). However, in trying to make it more cat-like I ended up making it look like a fox. Any suggestions on how to make it look more like a cat?

scribbliness.jpg

Sorry for the scribbliness, by the way, I plan to ink it later. Thanks in advance.

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:16 am

Ambiguity

He looks like a cat to me, but maybe you should give him a cat tail? Foxes have very distinctive tails so as long as you stay away from that you'd be alright.

Postby primitiva hallon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:59 am

primitiva hallon

He looks like a cat to me. You could add a tail as Ambiguity wrote, maybe you could make his torso longer so that it looks a bit like puss in boots :P but i guess it depends on what style your going for...
Something like this maybe?
g12ni3wa.png

Postby Aangkat » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:39 pm

Aangkat

Maybe you should do more studies about cat overall.
look at how other artist do this. Google is your friend.
Before creating from imagination, you need to study more about that animal. BTW don't be afraid to do 100 thumbnail sketches. The more the better.
more thumbnail and mix up. Then it will be your cat you wanted :D

LOVE the story BTW. I wish I could draw like that :D

Postby alnoth » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:53 pm

alnoth

im not sure about these anthropomorphic creatures in general...

to me, it looks like a person with cats head and a tail on a perfectly human body. *shrug* maybe thats the point tho... :?

Postby Zjacklee » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:27 pm

Zjacklee

It looks like a cat to me too.
A long body does contribute to the idea of a cat in my opinion too.
All in all, the sketch is going in a nice direction. it's too soon for me to really give critique since it's an early sketch. Keep it up and as Aangkat said, Google is your friend. It can always help you out with bits when you are in doubt. Studying a subject's characteristics is key.

Good luck, and I'll look forward to see some more work done here.
When you are going to make the line art, if you need help.... hit me up and i'll see where i can offer some enlightenment. :P
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Russet » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:56 pm

Russet

alnoth wrote:im not sure about these anthropomorphic creatures in general...

to me, it looks like a person with cats head and a tail on a perfectly human body. *shrug* maybe thats the point tho... :?

For me that's exactly the point. I figure the character on the left should look like it was the dog's mentor, or a spiritual big brother or something. Mortally wounded, he spent his last energies leaving a letter and food for the dog in their secret corner of the woods. All that work and planning would be too much of a stretch coming from a non-humanoid creature, not to mention that it would be harder to communicate the mentor-apprentice aspect of the relationship. Yet it has to be a cat, because a) it looks more interesting if they're polar opposites, and b) the alternative would be to draw some random human face that doesn't symbolize anything by itself. And I guess the dog is something like the hope and innocence worth fighting/dying for. Or a dog.

Aangkat wrote:Maybe you should do more studies about cat overall.
look at how other artist do this. Google is your friend.
Before creating from imagination, you need to study more about that animal. BTW don't be afraid to do 100 thumbnail sketches. The more the better.
more thumbnail and mix up. Then it will be your cat you wanted :D

Thanks for the encouragement. This was like the third try >.< I was looking at my own cat when I drew this, but either my cat has fox ancestry or my measurement skills need a lot of practice. Hopefully the latter. :|

primitiva hallon wrote:He looks like a cat to me. You could add a tail as Ambiguity wrote, maybe you could make his torso longer so that it looks a bit like puss in boots :P but i guess it depends on what style your going for...
Something like this maybe?

I appreciate the demonstration, I'll see if I can do that. Cats are looong.

Zjacklee wrote:It looks like a cat to me too.
A long body does contribute to the idea of a cat in my opinion too.
All in all, the sketch is going in a nice direction. it's too soon for me to really give critique since it's an early sketch. Keep it up and as Aangkat said, Google is your friend. It can always help you out with bits when you are in doubt. Studying a subject's characteristics is key.

Good luck, and I'll look forward to see some more work done here.
When you are going to make the line art, if you need help.... hit me up and i'll see where i can offer some enlightenment. :P

Thanks, I probably have a lot to learn from you on the inking front.

Return to Critique This!