Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby primitiva hallon » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:49 pm

primitiva hallon

Subject title: Marilyn (can be used in video)

Hi everyone, I started on this painting a while ago and I'm not sure if I should continue working on it or if I should just leave it and start on something new... so what do think about it? Critique is very welcome! :)
marilynSword_05.jpg

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:32 pm

Zjacklee

Hi there,

it's an interesting idea and you have an interesting use of colours. There are some things I would change for this piece to be more appealing though.
Since you have cartoonified her... to still keep this appealing, you should consider making her face sexy/cute. That's what Marilyn is all about.

I'm not very convinced on her figure. the arm and hand leaning on the lightspot seems a bit wonky.
The blue on the sword seems to be standing out too much? is there a reason for that?

Further on, I feel the piece is missing a bit of a story. It's not really getting any message across.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby primitiva hallon » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:53 pm

primitiva hallon

Thanks for the comment! :D
Yea, the arm does seem wonky now that you mentioned it, heres an update.
I changed the face (to the worse in my opinion) to make it look a little bit more like marilyn i guess, and I moved the arm closer to her body, not sure if it makes the pose clearer though...
[EDIT] Also, there's no underlying story or purpose of the painting, i just made it for fun :P.
marilynSword_05_edit.jpg

Postby Williham24 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:31 pm

Williham24

The bin doesn't make much sense, perspectively (if that's a word) looking at the rest of it, I think you should be able to see the top?
Hi I'm Will :) I'm 17 and I want to do illustration :)
'Paint a little less of the facts and a little more of the spirit'

My bad sketchbook - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6729

Postby Waveloop » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Waveloop

I think her face is looking a lot better now, but it lost a bit of it's original expression. I like it, maybe some issues value wise. I feel it should have more dark tones. But I really like it overall. I think the figure is working pretty well for the style intended. And the bin doesn't bother me... It's there for representational purposes only, that's my guess...
Good work.

Keep it up

Return to Critique This!