Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Northman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:18 pm

Northman

Subject title: Critique my comic please :)

Okay so, first time posting here, but don't go easy on me or anything. I'd love to hear what you honestly think about it.

From a comic-y perspective I think I probably spent too much time on the backgrounds? And I'm not really sure how well the contrast between the flat shading on the characters works with the painted backdrops (though I personally quite like it :roll: )

EDIT: Resized the image

Postby Brian Kouhi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:13 pm

Brian Kouhi

Bahaha, this is priceless, im in the exact same situation right now! i spent 6hours + making a sword for my friend to use at AnimeNorth, but he thought he was going to keep it, so now were trying to figure out what to do. sorry for no critique :(
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby Northman » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Northman

Brian Kouhi wrote:Bahaha, this is priceless, im in the exact same situation right now! i spent 6hours + making a sword for my friend to use at AnimeNorth, but he thought he was going to keep it, so now were trying to figure out what to do. sorry for no critique :(

Hahaha. Damn sword-thieves!

Postby alnoth » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:11 pm

alnoth

i very much like how you keep the same level of detail + color scheme throughout the comic. it makes it look very unified and easily readable. and thats no small thing.

there is always room for nit picking in individual frames, but i like the overall feel very much.

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:10 pm

Zjacklee

very nice overal. I like your color use in the dark frames.
The very first one where it's outside... I feel that the grass doesn't quite combine well with the blue atmosphere. As if it's too muddy or something. It's hard to explain.

But in any case, keep it up man. just work a little bit more on your human figures. And your shadows, make sure they follow the form of the subject.
For example on the clothing.

All in all, good stuff. :)
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Northman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:02 pm

Northman

Thanks for the critique! I appreciate it :)
I agree that the hill might blend too much into the sky there, I could just make the linework darker I guess.
And yea, I still struggle quite a lot with my anatomy.

And I just realized that I forgot coloring here necklace.

Postby Zjacklee » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Zjacklee

Northman wrote:Thanks for the critique! I appreciate it :)
I agree that the hill might blend too much into the sky there, I could just make the linework darker I guess.
And yea, I still struggle quite a lot with my anatomy.

And I just realized that I forgot coloring here necklace.

haha, yea.. it seems a lot of people struggle with anatomy in the beginning but as soon you get an eye for the little things that make the difference you'll do just fine!
if you want to get good at drawing humans, start simple with figure drawing. get proportions right and so on. then understand a bit of form and then anatomy. after a bit it will all be second nature.

And man! i know exactly what you mean! I do that all the time. there is always always always something that has been forgotten when I "finish" my drawings. either a line, or some fill in, line weight! xD
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Return to Critique This!