Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby kornelyte » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:39 am

kornelyte

Subject title: First post! Catgirl. (can be used in video)

Hey guys! I'm Mia. This is a drawing that was originally done in pencil and ink then later revised digitally.
http://kornelyte.deviantart.com/art/Cat ... 9699&qo=11 Traditional version
All critique welcome! c:

Postby alnoth » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:53 am

alnoth

the things i marked do not work...

- the cheekbone is too low on the face and maybe protruding a bit too much
- her thigh outline (underneath the skirt) cuts too much to the right, it makes her pelvis appear really strange, as if the thigh at the hip was really really thin for some reason
- you gave her a bump where theres no such shape, the curve should be going the other way
- her mouth also seems to be off center somehow but i stay away from manga and anime, so i wont comment on the face

the body as a whole looks ok proportions-wise i would try to add a clearly defined position of a light source to help you go along with the shading better
01.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:55 am

Ambiguity

I agree with alnoth's points. Also, I hate to say it, but I can tell there is a big lack of understanding of fundamentals here. Most of this stuff is going to come down to you just studying if you want to fix it yourself correctly.

I did a redraw of it for funzees:
Spoiler: show

I left most of the construction lines in(sorry they are little hard to see) and the ref' I used for the hands so you can get an idea of how I went about it. I think I might have over done the tail, and I actually like the curvy gesture of yours better than mine :).

Anyways, you might want to have a look around the sketchbook and see how others are studying, we also have a big resource topic here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42

Postby kocab22 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:17 am

kocab22

Hey Ambi what about that claf? :o

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:39 am

Ambiguity

kocab22 wrote:Hey Ambi what about that claf? :o

What is a claf?

Postby Brian Kouhi » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:12 am

Brian Kouhi

i was just thinking the same questions.. lol what in the world is a claf :lol:
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby alnoth » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:31 am

alnoth

a misstyped "calf"?

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:47 am

Ambiguity

alnoth wrote:a misstyped "calf"?

That's what I was thinking, but if that's the case they are there, they could probably use some reshaping around the achillies tendon area though. I'm not worried about it though, like I said I did it for fun.

.:Edit:.
Fixed them up a little XP.

Postby kornelyte » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:48 pm

kornelyte

Thanks for all the feedback guys, its really helpful! Also, in the original drawing she had a lollipop in her mouth which is why her cheek is all deformed looking came I forgot to redo it after I removed the lollipop xD

Postby vanyossi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:13 am

vanyossi

As everyone stated, fundamentals. You can do wonders if you get fundamentals right. As for the painting a good advice is to define a light source to define shadows before starting to add colors.

I made a super quick redraw of your catgirl. It may help you as I left almost all construct lines untouched. (5min, so hands, feet and face have no detail at all)
(I hope this works, first time adding an attachment.)
Spoiler: show
net_mp-inter_002s.jpg
Catgirl redraw

cheers.

Return to Critique This!