Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Evan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:48 pm

Evan

Subject title: need some help

trying to learn more about painting kinda new to this. something is off about this painting and need some help.can use in a video whatever works
speedpaint.jpg

Postby glitch » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:26 pm

glitch

Based on your other posts, you seem to be stuck on using fancy brushes, which will really limit you (contrary to what most people think).

If I were you (which I basically am; I'm learning these things too) I'd simplify your brushes and try painting a scene with, say, the hard round brush that comes default in 'basic brushes'.

When you use these texture-y brushes, I get this feeling like you have no idea what you're painting, because well, that's what it looks like.

Anyway, you have no distinguishable distances in this painting, which is what I think is 'off'. Where is the horizon? Even with the repeating shapes into the distance, the colors and values don't indicate them getting further away.
Try working with a scene that has some distinguishable distances: a foreground, a middle-ground, and a background. After laying in these 1-2-3 spaces, you can fill in detail in-between them to make them kind of 'blend' together. Be wary though, making them 'blend' like I said could kill the sense of depth.

I don't quite understand what's happening in this picture, and I can't really relate to it.
"Is that water? What are those lights? Why does the guy seem to be walking away from them? -Wait is that a guy?"

I think you need clarity, and a goal behind your paintings.

Keep experimenting. I recommend watching Feng Zhu's Design Cinema on youtube.

Postby Evan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:04 pm

Evan

thaks for the critique ill work some more with the the basic brushes

Return to Critique This!