Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby cicakkia » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:41 am

cicakkia

Subject title: Please critique this (Tomb raider art)

Hi, Nice to meet you all :) . I have watched this forum so long. And now finally I brave myself to join this community. I wanted to improve my art so here is one of my piece so far which I did for Tomb Raider contest. I know there so many mistake and I would like to be pointed out my mistake so that I could do the improvement for the future art. Sorry, if my english sounds weird cause english is not my first language :D . Thank you very much :)

Spoiler: show

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:00 am

Ambiguity

First of all, sorry for the late reply.

Now as for critique, if I'm being honest there are quite a few issues such as the perspective of individual features on the face being miss aligned; there is a lot of slightly wonky anatomy in various places; the proportions of things are off like the hands and head being too small for the rest of the body; her hair isn't consistently rendered, and the gesture of her run seems like she's not running all out like you would if a 670lb tiger were running after you :lol:. I could probably find some more little things wrong if I tried, but I think that's a good start.

Other then that, I think it's overall beautifully rendered and I quite enjoy the color pallette :).

Postby Zjacklee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:53 am

Zjacklee

Hi, I agree with ambiguity. What stands out immediately to me is her left arm. it's really really small. ( I do understand you might have tried to go for a foreshortening effect most likely but that wasn't a succes )

In any case, I really like your color palette. It's very nice. :)
One thing I would do, although not completely necesarry is to try to unify the environment a bit more. The colors of the individual things are nice but I feel as if they are not completely sharing the same environment.

Next I would have to address her clothing. It's missing a lot of refinement and volume. It's very flat, it's missing seams or suggestions of what makes clothing look more like clothing.
Also try to give it mass. It feels as if it's stuck or part of her being rather than something she is wearing.

Good luck!
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby marvel57 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:57 pm

marvel57

Tomb-Hey! My first impression was, damn ,that's cool. But after a longer look it has problems,in addition to what the others said the shine on her lower lip looks like teeth :( but like the tiger and the surroundings :ugeek:

Postby cicakkia » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:42 pm

cicakkia

Sorry for late response. has a little internet problem so can't go online for few days .

I thank you for everyone, Ambiguity, Zjacklee, marvel57 has given me some nice critique :) . Now I have known my major problem is working on good anatomy, gesture and perspective. I will take this as note and make it to my homework :D. Also Zjacklee mention about the clothing and environment, next time I should be more careful examine that part as well :). Again thank you very much, you guys a big help :)

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:17 pm

Ambiguity

Sycra's critique in case you haven't seen it ^_^:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jAmc5UmVT8

Postby cicakkia » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:42 am

cicakkia

I watched the video :), I like how he describe the weakness of mine. I do learn a lot from that video critique. He is right about I need to take some picture by myself for using the reference on poses. That's never come to my mind. I just use picture reference from google and seems didn't always come what I wanted. Also red line it's pretty handy. I will try to learn that technique :) I thank you very much for Sycra for already taking your time to do this awesome video critique. I hope it is useful for everybody too :D

Return to Critique This!