Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby olphelia » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:39 pm

olphelia

Subject title: Critique request for LoL illustration piece

Hello all :)

I'm aware that the illustration is already gone through to polish stage so editing the picture dramatically would take a lot of work at this point... but I would really appreciate some critique on what I should have done so I can take this advice on board for future drawings...

Postby Nipponkage » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Nipponkage

Where's the light on the hair (it's yellow) and back coming from? If it's coming from the bow then shouldn't it's value's be darker since the bow is so far away?
Last edited by Nipponkage on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby pseudome » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:04 pm

pseudome

what first strikes me is ashe's furthermost leg (seems like the femur is too short) and the perspective on her bow - theres foreshortening in the arm, but not the bow, so it looks like shes shooting the ground. theres also something fishy going on with the foot closest to the lane

also, what nipponkage said - the light sources arent too clearly represented. her yellow bow should cast warmer shadows on her face, and the moon should be casting some cooler, crisper rim light on her as well...

even if its already in the polished stage, i suppose you could still liquify it til the structure and anatomy feel right, then rework some of the bits that still need pimping. after all, the LoL artists do it too :p

cheers!

oh, almost forgot - something about the value range bothers me a bit, you might wanna darken the foreground to almost a silhouette (would make sense, given the lighting) to create some depth.

Postby Nipponkage » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:57 pm

Nipponkage

Just realised that the picture is cropped when zoomed in at 100% zoom out and the picture makes slightly more sense. Please ignore my last comment.

Postby Fenix_N » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Fenix_N

Very nice illustration! My suggestion is that the image seems static because there are too many hard edges in unnecessary places. I think more looseness will add more energy to the painting.

Postby marvel57 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:03 pm

marvel57

Ophe- it's pretty good, but it must be one of a sequence.Because the whole layout focuses on the archer, but she's too small to appreciate and the opponent takes a lot of foreground but does,not reveal much. So, like I said if it were animation it would kind of be an establishing shot which would cut to another angle of hero or such. As a stand alone piece it has the issues mentioned above. Nice clean work :ugeek:

Return to Critique This!