Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby adamjames » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:05 am

adamjames

Subject title: Concept drawing and the creation of character.

Hey guys.
For the most part I'm a author/writer, but over the past year I've been trying to improve my drawing skills to help illustrate the characters that I come up with in my stories.

Below is my most recent piece, her name is Vikky Miller.

I'm just looking for some feedback on what you guys think makes good concept art, a good character, and any tips you may have to help me improve my skills.

If you would like to read more about the different directions I've tried with her, there is more over at my blog.
http://cgfoxtrot.blogspot.com/2012/01/vikky-miller-re-conceptualized-recap-of.html

Thanks, I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Postby Stoyben » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Stoyben

our left (her right) collarbone is a little "wonky" it has an unusual upward bend. I know that you're trying to make her more visually appealing but I think the eye shadow takes away from the picture (this is only my opinion); I would love to see a panel from this.
You can't spell earth without art.

Postby adamjames » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:08 pm

adamjames

Thanks Stoyben, I was trying to add the weight of the rifle/severed head into her right shoulder, but as you pointed out, I think I missed it. I'm still struggling with balancing out figures. I agree on the eye shadow thing. There is a trick I do inside of Photoshop; once I have my drawing finished, I'll take the vibrance and ramp it up by about 25% just to give it a little more zing. In this case, I think it pulled out the blue undertones around her eyes a little too much, or did you mean the actual darkness/value?

Not to sound like a complete newb, but what do you mean by 'panel'?

Thanks for the feedback, it's so nice to have a forum like this, I'm used to working by myself with no feedback.

Postby adamjames » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:56 pm

adamjames

Hello Mumrik, you may be right.
I was basing her off of this girl:Image

You can see, she kinda has a strange face to start with.
I might have gotten overzealous of the stylization of her eyes and cheeks.
(I'm hoping to turn this character into an animation inside of Maya)

If you want to do a quick edit, feel free.
I like the critiques, but I think I follow your meaning from you're saying.
It's up to you. Thanks!

Postby Sycra » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:00 pm

Sycra
Site Admin

Hey Adam. Awesome work. There is a LOT of things that are awesome about this image. I like the layout, the strong graphic sense, the color palette of the background... Just some really top notch stuff. There are some areas that need some work however. Storyben covered the collarbone, which I agree with, but there are some other small areas, the cleavage in the breasts for example, that could be improved. I think if you just spent a bit more time refining things and studying some more reference it'd help. Also, I notice that there is a change in color between the chest and face and the abs and arms and legs... Even though you do get color shifts in pictures like this, I think for the clean style you're going for, it may be better to stay to a similar color for all these areas. The eyes are popping a bit too much. The value of white in them might be a bit too strong and the color too... But it's not so garish to me that you can't get away with it. I think it's your choice in this area. I would personally make it a bit more subtle, but it's your call. Overall, really nice work!

Postby Stoyben » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:40 pm

Stoyben

Not to sound like a complete newb, but what do you mean by 'panel'?

Oh, I thought this was a graphic novel, like a comic book pictures on each page describing a character's actions visually.
or is it cover art?
You can't spell earth without art.

Postby adamjames » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:01 pm

adamjames

Hello Sycra. Thanks for the kind words and the critique. For some reason, the subtleties in the breast area always allude me. (maybe I should date more :lol: )
For some reason I think my mind pictures them differently then the way they really are.

With the color shifts around the body, I think that stems from my affinity to old movie posters.
The ones where the artist would use real oils or something similar, but you may be right, maybe I should try to keep it a little more clean.

Mumrick, thank you for editing the image, I really see what you mean now about the eyes.
In comparison, my original really looks bug-eyeish. :shock: It's almost comical.
I think later on I might go back in and make the adjustments.

As far color, I'm still at a crossroads between the vivid and the toned down.
I'll have to give me eye a break and come back, but I'm thinking I'll probably go with the toned down version like you suggest.
(It might fit the story better.) Once again, thanks for taking the time to edit it, I really appreciate it.

Stoyben wrote:

Oh, I thought this was a graphic novel...

I wish, but sadly no, this is just some concept art.
At this juncture, I honesty don't think I have enough talent to draw out a whole comic/graphic novel.
My goal is to take the drawing and make a 3D model (that doesn't look too CG) for an animation series.
Although, now that you mention it, maybe I will make graphic novel from the 3D models.
I guess It all depends on how they turn out.

Sycra, thanks again for this wonderful forum and all the great videos you put out.
Your passion is an inspiration.

Postby Shoethief » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:44 am

Shoethief

I wish, but sadly no, this is just some concept art.
At this juncture, I honesty don't think I have enough talent to draw out a whole comic/graphic novel.
My goal is to take the drawing and make a 3D model (that doesn't look too CG) for an animation series.
Although, now that you mention it, maybe I will make graphic novel from the 3D models.
I guess It all depends on how they turn out.

Sycra, thanks again for this wonderful forum and all the great videos you put out.
Your passion is an inspiration.

I think you definitely have the skill to draw a graphic novel. Just practice and repetition to hone your skill and I promise you'll be completely stoked when you see your progress. There was a comic book artist named Jeffery Scott Campbell that used to live in my city and I remember how his stuff looked as soon as he got a deal and a year later. His anatomy was vastly improved and his faces didn't look weird anymore. Just one year! So keep it up man and my best advice to you would "Nothing is beyond your grasp with practice".

Postby Cartesian Theater » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:11 am

Cartesian Theater

Really awesome picture! I like the character, and I agree with everything that's been said about the colors, shapes, etc. I think your problem is something that I tend to do constantly: try to make things "pop" too much. Whenever I see a shape that juts out like a collar bone I just want to put a black line and a white highlight on it, to prove how much it stands out. Sometimes you really need to step back from painting and do a little more observing - it usually turns out that these shapes are in reality much more subtle than we think they are. What looks like a highlight might be the midtone popping out due to an abrupt shadow, and what looks like a shadow might just be a bit of midtone next to a sharp highlight.

Postby white » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:50 am

white

I like your style, has a very collage feel. However the proportions seem wack: her head is too small and disproportenate, left arm too short, belly should be a bit turned to her left, and her boobs aren't the same size.

Should be more like this
fix.jpg

Return to Critique This!