Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby pseudome » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:55 pm

pseudome

Subject title: noodle mayhem - can be used in video

as the title says, ive gotten stuck on noodling here. the drawing is based on a couple of dreams i had, and i tried as best i could to render all the details i remember. lost track of structure somewhere along the way.

posted 2 stages, in the second one i took a step back and shaded more in accordance to the cave and light direction... but i cant stop minding the details! any feedback and crit is welcomed. thanks a bunch!

Spoiler: show
mrf.jpg
Last edited by pseudome on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby marvel57 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:46 pm

marvel57

Man what did you eat before bed? 8-) :ugeek:

Postby vimacq@me.com » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:52 am

vimacq@me.com

Jajaja great work ;)

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:45 am

Dream

Man i so hope you're skilled in lucid dreaming, whatever the hell's going on in there sounds like some really mind-fucking stuff.

Specially loving the one of the left, the bit of extra care put into the lighting and definition put it leaps and bounds beyond the one on the right, methinks.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby perkexpert » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:01 pm

perkexpert

Man....that is just incredibly awesome! This has the flair of the old masters, i almost smell the oils^^. Really, this is one of the coolest illustrations i've seen lately,
you should definitely finish it! i like the lighting on the left more, it fits the piece. Do you have any other works to share? Some blog or deviantart stuff? Would love
to see more. Really nice stuff...
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby pseudome » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:54 pm

pseudome

Heh, thanks guys - I WISH I had anything in common with the old masters :) I'll share more stuff in the near future.

Yeah, my dreams are of the mind-fucking variety, but I've more or less gotten used to them by now... Aside from that, I can't really tell right from left, but I'm guessing you mean the crispy, lighter version? Was under the impression I'd botched that one, with lousy values and uniform level of detail.

My main issue with this drawing is that I totally overlooked the perspective in each of the 'boxes', and I only realised it too late, after I'd laid out a hefty amount of noodles. Not too sure how to move forward with it o.O If anyone wants to chop it up and do a paint-over, would be much appreciated. Need a fresh look on it.

Postby perkexpert » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:28 pm

perkexpert

I wouldnt care about the perspective @all...its cool like it is, and it adds to the odd feel, that it might be out of place somewhere...i assume you could render it in correct perspective, but probably you would overwork it, so i would just
noodle onwards to a finish:)

Postby Dream » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:19 pm

Dream

Now that i think about it why is this called noodle mayhem?

And regarding the perspective, i think it's great as is. It does add to the un-wordly, dream-logic of the painting after all.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Ambiguity

It reminds me of Opeth's Heritage cover(http://www.servimg.com/u/f44/11/24/78/28/opeth_15.jpg).

I actually don't see anything wrong with the perspective either, it seems pretty accurate if you think about it this way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf_pUJSQeM
We tend to think of everything on the ground because we're on the ground, we don't account for how things would look below the ground or above your head. I would use the top scene from the right version with everything else from the left though, as I like how everything is on the left, but the top is better defined on the right, and the perspective of the balloon is more accurate imo(because you see the underside of the balloon),

Postby pseudome » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:24 pm

pseudome

guess the segment that bothers me most is the bottom. admittedly, i only laid it out roughly at the time, used some cloning and didn't bother much with the perspective, but somehow it just won't click.

Dream wrote:Now that i think about it why is this called noodle mayhem?

cause i got stuck on detailing it til the details got the better of me, and started growing a mind of their own.

as for noodling ahead, i'd be very happy to, once i stop seeing a wrongly assembled sandwich every time i open the file O.o

thanks for the feedback, everyone.

some update, making the soil line more dynamic - aka avoiding the bottom :?

ongoing zb min.jpg
Last edited by pseudome on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby pseudome » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:52 am

pseudome

ugh, finally figured it out! well, more or less...

only took me forever but now i can safely go back to noodling i think

cheese fwame.jpg
Last edited by pseudome on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby kocab22 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:21 am

kocab22

this is really awesome, Id love to see it in higher res. Do you have any link for original size ? Really very very nice job young lady :!:

Postby perkexpert » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:24 pm

perkexpert

Nice form, but where are all those bright and overly cool details gone?! Gieef back! Generally awesome work there!

Postby pseudome » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:08 pm

pseudome

kocab22 wrote:this is really awesome, Id love to see it in higher res. Do you have any link for original size ? Really very very nice job young lady :!:

perkexpert wrote:Nice form, but where are all those bright and overly cool details gone?! Gieef back! Generally awesome work there!

thanks - im only bringing back the details now, since i had to force myself to work on a very low-res, zoomed out picture, to stop focusing on the squiggles and wiggles and all the madness for long enough to get the structure down. currently tweaking the shapes a bit more, then ill paste in the original pieces, and rework them accordingly. so, for the time being, excuse the mega-fuzz :?

balloon cheezerz.jpg

Postby Zjacklee » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:41 pm

Zjacklee

It's quite a rare thing to remember dreams completely and even better, to paint it.
Is it really stuff you remember accurately or you had a vague idea that you detailed further on?

Nice piece in any case. I like it's weirdness although I can't really tell what all the chaos is.
You are a lucid dreamer too, aren't you? :)
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Return to Critique This!