Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby ColonelHacker12 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:39 pm

ColonelHacker12

Subject title: Camp Human Sonic...

Ok, I may have made his shoulders a little too broad:

MY SKETCHBOOK (NSFW)

MY INSTAGRAM

"What are you looking at?!" - POTUS Francis Underwood

Postby Spider » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:06 pm

Spider

I just.. I really don't get your design. He looks like a tranny. If it's supposed to be human sonic fanart then the choker and pink blazer don't make any sense. The lips are too red and he looks like he's wearing bad makeup. Which is fine, if that's what you were going for, but it looks really unappealing.

Postby pseudome » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:34 pm

pseudome

Hello, ColonelHacker12!

I've gotta agree with Spider and say I feel the design doesn't make that much sense to me. Since I'm not too familiar with Sonic or his story(although I have seen his design before), I pulled up this reference:

Sonic_141.png

I outlined the things that make his character recognizable. I feel that, out of these, the silhouette is the first one you need to address. And, by silhouette, I mean hair/spikes. Since you're doing a human version, this is about the only place that you can really play around in, without making him look like a bit of a monster.

I wasn't sure what you were going for in terms of degree of realism, so I did two versions to illustrate each option: you can treat his hair more like a separate, exaggerated element, on the left, or you can treat it more like blue hair, but while remembering the idea of 3 big clumps of hair that correspond to each of those 3 big spikes.

First, however, I fixed a few anatomy issues I saw: his skull doesn't really have form, so I constructed it out of bigger shapes, and then decided where to put the eyes and the rest of the features. Also, in your version, the features don't really look masculine or feminine. Even if he's in drag, his bone structure isn't going to change. Testosterone makes guys' bones more chunky, more bumpy, and with more right angles. Then, because you have his torso in a 3/4 view, you have to remember the ribcage has volume - and thus, it's gonna obscure the entire half of the body that's farthest from the viewer. Consequently, You're gonna see more on one side - traps, clavicle, arm, etc - and less of the other.

Also, when considering the colours you're gonna be using, if you want your character to be recognizable as Sonic, you need to pay attention to how simple his colour scheme is. Now, obviously, you won't be making his clothes the exact same colour as his skin, but it still needs to read as one single unit when you're zoomed out.

29159161262_ee656f191e_z crit.jpg

I hope this helps. Cheers!

Postby ColonelHacker12 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:01 pm

ColonelHacker12

Thanks for your feedback, pseudome. And the "human sonic" nickname and gigolo them was just me throwing things against a wall with my spotty digital art and hoping they'll stick.
MY SKETCHBOOK (NSFW)

MY INSTAGRAM

Postby pseudome » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:10 pm

pseudome

Aw... Well, I guess the joke's on me then, lol.

It'd be really useful if you could say what you're trying to do with the image, that title was a bit misleading :)

Postby ColonelHacker12 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:55 am

ColonelHacker12

pseudome wrote:Aw... Well, I guess the joke's on me then, lol.

It'd be really useful if you could say what you're trying to do with the image, that title was a bit misleading :)

Hey no worries, your feedback and critique was very welcome and I only meant it as a light joke (we're all bouncing ideas and stuff here to improve our work).
MY SKETCHBOOK (NSFW)

MY INSTAGRAM

Postby ColonelHacker12 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:57 pm

ColonelHacker12

Ok, the first one was very rank, so I went over it again and made him less camp, but more threatening:

MY SKETCHBOOK (NSFW)

MY INSTAGRAM

Postby forteller11 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:43 am

forteller11

Your last version is definitely a major step forwards in terms of appeal :)

Decided to give my two cents:
Firstly anatomical corrections, ignoring all the stylized anime-ish anatomy proportions (especially in the face) two main problems stick out to me
1: the collar bone is too high/and or the shoulders are two low, if you were to continue the line of the collar bone (hidden by the man's clothing) he would have a collar bone sticking out of his body!
2: the skull seems too long to me, I traced over to imagine what a skull would look like underneath the flesh and you can tell from that overlay that the cranium is a bit too long and too short relative to the rest of the skull.

Secondly Rendering style: I don't know if this is because it's just a quick sketch, but you seem to have a hard-lined anime-ish style going on for the man's skin, and then a more painterly rendering style happening on the man's clothing, and then the hair is somewhat in between the two. Admittedly two or more styles of rendering can work within a single peice, but it has to be 100% intentional and also makes a it extremely difficult for the artist to achieve a sense of unity in the peice.

Thirdly: Now this is more nitpicky, and more heavily depends on your intentions as an artist (realistic or stylized)... but the colour seems too saturated too me --? when painting digitally it's really, really easy to oversaturate your artwork, but this intense saturation makes it really difficult to find balance in terms of colour, and can be kind of overstimulating to the veiwer, generally it's safer to have a more muted pallet with just a few highlights so your colours can more easily work together.

s.jpg

Again I'm not any voice of authority or anything, but I thought it might be useful to hear another perspective on the matter :)

Postby ColonelHacker12 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:22 am

ColonelHacker12

Yes, thanks so much for the more encouraging feedback, but I agree his neck his too elongated in relation to his relatively low shoulders, and I'm clearly still faffing about with the colours and textures (but this is an experimentation or WIP, not a finished product).
MY SKETCHBOOK (NSFW)

MY INSTAGRAM

Return to Critique This!