Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Urikedi1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Urikedi1

Subject title: How to improve those pieces?

What would you change, remove or add?
Spoiler: show

Postby femarot » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:27 pm

femarot

I think the sky in the first one is a like... very empty.

And in the other two, i would put some highlights, but they're realy good. I'm not sure about how much I could help you, so I'm just giving my humble opinion =)
Just an art student, with the wish of become a good artist someday. I invite you to see my work and progress here:
http://femarot.deviantart.com/

Postby dtmw » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:54 pm

dtmw

The only thing that I don't like in the 2nd one is that the "neck/head part" is blended with the background (but it's just my preference), what's the yellowish thing on "his head"?

Postby Urikedi1 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:26 pm

Urikedi1

femarot wrote:I think the sky in the first one is a like... very empty.

And in the other two, i would put some highlights, but they're realy good. I'm not sure about how much I could help you, so I'm just giving my humble opinion =)

thank you!

dtmw wrote:The only thing that I don't like in the 2nd one is that the "neck/head part" is blended with the background (but it's just my preference), what's the yellowish thing on "his head"?

thanks!
I wanted him to wear a crown, but i guess it doesn't look like it :)

Postby Audiazif » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:34 pm

Audiazif

In #2 the figure doesn't look like it is sitting in the throne. the foreshortening is off and you made the torso too long. From the top of the head to the bottom of the torso (where the butt meets the chair or the bottom of the crotch) should be around 4 heads, in the painting it is like you measured 4 head and then added the pelvis and legs below.

#2 and #3 the fabric looks like a very stiff or thick fabric, which is not what I would think would go on a person in a throne or wearing a crown. It is more apparent in #3, towards the bottom it almost looks like tree roots. Maybe softening the edges of the shadows and having it follow what it is draped over more, would help make it seem less stiff/thick.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby dtmw » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:57 pm

dtmw

Urikedi1 wrote:thanks!
I wanted him to wear a crown, but i guess it doesn't look like it :)

It actually looks like a crown (I wasn't sure so I didn't write it) , but I think you should have drawn it a little bit more up if you wanted to place it up his invisible(?) head

Postby pseudome » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:17 pm

pseudome

Hi Urikedi!

I did a rough paintover with some ideas for the composition - I would suggest thinking of your elements as blocks, instead of trees, or a horse, or water, and how are these blocks going to best tell your story? Where are their shapes leading to? Where is the weight concentrated? That tree in the center of the image was very overpowering, and was moving the weight of the entire image to the right. If your picture was a tray, and you had to balance it on one hand... it would topple over.

Also, I saw a couple of perspective issues - the strangely cropped off tree in the foreground would look bigger than the one in the middle, so I corrected that. And the brush you used in the water isn't really following the correct perspective.

I tried to give your image more breathing room at the top, to get a more oppressive feel of the barren wintery landscape.

I hope this is of some use.

Cheers!
JnklBlEEEE.jpg
JnklBlEEEE leading.jpg

Postby Sycra » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:21 pm

Sycra
Site Admin

Really nice work in these. I think you're quite brave in the images you are trying to tackle, but I feel like you go way too black in the darks and sort of lose an opportunity for more interest. I think it's better to use more atmosphere and save the blacks for very specific areas, unless you are going super graphic. This is all a matter of personal taste though, but I did a couple paintovers to show what I mean:

Postby sanguine » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:25 pm

sanguine

Awesome paintovers Sycra, reminiscent of Craig Mullins in my opinion. Great tips for anyone trying to get into concept art:)

Postby Urikedi1 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:44 pm

Urikedi1

thank you veeery much guys, i can't believe i didn't notice that you responded
it has been almost a year, damn it :oops:
anyway, here are paintovers i made following your advice

i'm still not happy with the last one, but i didn't have enough patience to improve it further, as the basic idea is rather poor
thank you one more time for the critiques!

Postby Josephcow » Sun May 21, 2017 6:05 pm

Josephcow

Whoaaa Senpai noticed you! :D :D

Just wanted to say that I love the first one with the horse! yes, it's a really simple idea, but that doesn't matter. I like the new version, except I really prefer the colors that you had originally.

Postby Gryephon » Mon May 22, 2017 9:50 pm

Gryephon

A couple of your pieces look way too dark, you'll need to work on brightening them up a little. I was looking at the luminosity in the histogram, it doesn't seem to hit a quarter, not even a quinary. You need to work on making things brighter.

I edited some thumbnails to show you what it would look like better.

d4DkQCH.jpg

Z8U1Mxc.jpg
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Return to Critique This!