Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby glitch » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:48 pm

glitch

Subject title: Fan art?

Hey guys, so I'm actually quite new into the digital world of art-- Nah. I'm actually quite new into the world of art, period. And I've been picking it up quite fast.

Anyway I've got this, and obvi I've got my own extensive list of things wrong --as well as things right of course!-- with it.
Just, y'know, seeing what the thoughts are.

Odd Crop.
Spoiler: show

Feasible re-size.

Original size. (ctrl - and ctrl + would be your friend here.)

*edit* Hah. Forgot to mention that every one of these pictures is different because different small details were added in as I saved it and moved it around and stuff. I still have no real work flow.

Postby alnoth » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:52 pm

alnoth

dude, the horse is on fire! ...hm, looks more like a donkey - the back is too straight for a horse.

Postby glitch » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:56 pm

glitch

Haha. Yeah. That's really really bothering me. I might go redo the horse. Because I wanted a lean pony, not a fat ass.

Postby m-O » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:11 pm

m-O

Cool! It's Rapidash isn't it? ^^

Postby glitch » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:12 pm

glitch

RAPIDASH HAS A HORN, YOU INCONSIDERATE TWAT.
Ehem. As the filenames would suggest, it is not.

Postby m-O » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:13 pm

m-O

glitch wrote:RAPIDASH HAS A HORN, YOU INCONSIDERATE TWAT.
Ehem. As the filenames would suggest, it is not.

o-kay *flies away* :lol:

Postby glitch » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:22 pm

glitch

But hey, it could be 'RapidAss'. Anyway, back to the critiques.

Postby marvel57 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:25 am

marvel57

Hey glitch-you owe m-o an apology or you won't get dick from this forum :ugeek:

Postby Dream » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:07 am

Dream

marvel57 wrote:Hey glitch-you owe m-o an apology or you won't get dick from this forum :ugeek:

Not sure of this, but going by some "Last visited" data, Glitch still hasn't seen your post.

Anyways, while that outburst was certainly bizarre and appalling, i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he just had a bad day or something. I know how bad anger or irritation can get sometimes.

Looking at your illustration, it feels like the front and back of the cavern/place are both fighting for the front role or like, that they don't feel very set on their roles. I think making the foreground a bit more defined and the background a bit more darker would help? Also, strenghtening your values might help your illustration a bit too.

I hope i'm not wrong in giving you benefit of doubt.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby glitch » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:26 am

glitch

I had wanted to add some detail to the foreground and background, but I wasn't sure if that would subtract from the middle ground, because as far as I know, that's human sight works (you can't look at multiple depths) But I do know that for illustrative purposes that one would let all depths would have detail. Which is odd for me to think about. So, that's why I did/didn't do that. I'm experimenting with these things. 'I've got a lot to think about with this though, so thanks.

Postby Zjacklee » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:35 pm

Zjacklee

In an image, the subject is the center of attention and focal point. Focal point is sharp with hard edges while the rest would be less sharp with soft edges.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:10 am

Dream

... So, uh, glitch, you're not planning on apologizing or at least explaining your outburst a bit?
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby glitch » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:16 am

glitch

Nah, didn't plan to. If I must explain how there is any bit of humor in there, I will, just to satisfy your guys' anal retentive focus on it.
So strap on your diapers and let's go.

It's not obviously a Ponyta. Most people looking at this in the perspective of pokemon fan art would think "Rapidash" because who in there right mind would fan art a boring un-evolved version of a stronger pokemon? But, alas, I prefer Ponyta over Rapidash, therefore that's what I wanted. Upon drawing a normal horse, one would find that there is little difference to be made in an real 'alternative' version. AHAH, so there it was, the one detail that made all the difference, the horn. Only really avid pokemon fans would know without looking it up that Rapidash has a horn and Ponyta doesn't, therefore, pretending that it's blatantly obvious and a huge deal that he called it Rapidash --thereby disgracing Ponyta-- gives it a touch of humor, and I like to imagine that someone somewhere in the world understood that.

Satisfied?

---Also won't be apologizing for the diapers comment.

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Ambiguity

@Everyone I'm taking care of this from here. Let's drop this discussion and get back on topic, if you have something more you absolutely have to say about it you can pm me, do not post it here.

Postby perkexpert » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:44 pm

perkexpert

Just as a sidenote:could you please Post small versions i am Viewing this On an iPad and i have to scroll through it which Makes it Hard to Judge the whole Composition. From first Glance i find the Color Scheme quite nice and tranquil but the horse seems totally wrong in there with regard to Lightning, anatomie and Overall composition.
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby glitch » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:29 am

glitch

I'd never drawn a horse (or donkey for that matter) before that day. I just traced a few pictures and junk before hand and tossed it in because "why not?"
Looking back, I noticed these are the versions basically without shadows for the figures -- and as far as human anatomy, hah forget it, I'm garbage at this point.. it's been my #1 concern lately.

I'm thinking I should post something that I really worked hard on and had pre-planned in here next time.

It looks quite good on my Nexus 7, but I'll keep the res in mind for sure.

Return to Critique This!